WineXpert Yeast on top of Oak Dust

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
We just started a Selection Estate Pinot Noir. The kit comes with two packages of oak saw dust. Per the instructions we added it to the primary, stirred it then added the yeast. It's been almost 48 hours and it does not seem to be bubbling yet (temp has been a consistant 71 degrees). I'm concerned the yeast is just sitting on top of the oak saw dust and not able to get to the rest of the batch.

Should I just leave it alone and wait for the oak to sinkor give it a gentle stir?

Thanks!

GrapeApe

Edited by: GrapeApe

Others might tell you different, but I would just give it a gentle stir to get the yeast wet. The sawdust may have all floated up andif the yeast was on top and dried out, it might not be in contact with the must enough. Give it a gentle stir and it should take of within 24-36 hours.

I agree, give it a Gentle stir. Just enough to moisten the top crust well.I don't know if you havea Mix Stir or Wine Whip but I usually use that when I add my Oak dust to get it mixed in good. My first couple kits I had the same problem as you. The Oak would float and coat the top of the juice. Read a tip on here to use the Mix Stir when I was re-hydrating my juice concentrate. Works pretty good. I use it to stir in my Bentonite as well.

Smurfe

You don't need to do anything, the yeast will find the sugar even through the saw dust. Remember, follow the instructions.

I wish the directions were a little clearer as to what it should look like prior to pitching the yeast. All it says is to stir the oak under the surface of the liquid. I can interpret thata half dozen different ways.
Here's what it looked like prior to adding the yeast:
20070304_143631_IMG_3430-small.JPG

20070304_143715_IMG_3431-small.JPG

Since it's been over 48 hours, I used the back of the spoon to gentle break the surface. It turned up a lot of dry dust (even though we stirred it pretty good when we first added the dust as you can see from the above pix) andI think provided enough moisture for the yeast to do its thing. We'll give it another 36 hours and see what happens.

I feel like an expecting father pacing outside of the delivery room. I just want the best for those little yeasties.

Thanks for the advice. This forum is really awesome!!

GrapeApe.

I am mad now GrapeApe!

I don't have a tile wine room to make my wine in. That looks like a top dollar operation you have built for your wine making. I am going to rip down my stainless steel walls and counters and put up tile!
You know I am pulling your leg don't you!

Take George's word for it, the yeast will find the sugar.

Thanks Scuba, but my "wine room" is really a full bathroom we have in our basement. We have 3 others in the house, so this onewas rarely used...until now. It hasworked out great - fresh water supply, easy clean up, and a fairly stable temperature.
I built abox out of 1/2 inch plythat fits over the walls of thetub. It raises the primary and carboys high enough so we can rack right in the tub (this saved me when I had a mini volcano during degassing)and it also provides plenty of storage for the stuff we use to make the kits.

GrapeApe

I just started my first kit yesterday (Luna Rossa) and it had 4 packages of oak to be mixed in. From the instructions it sounded like the oak would settle and the top would be clear to put the yeast on. After about a half hour of stirring I just added the yeast to the top and prayed. Your question was just in time as I was going to ask the same if I saw no action today.

I just looked and the top appears to have a foam on it and again I am assuming this is the activity I should be seeing.

I have been lurking on the forum for about a month and have learned a lot. Thanks everyone and someday maybe I can also help a newbie.

We too thought the oak would get water logged and sink, leaving a clear top, but it didn't. The good news is the kit did take off yesterday (yeast was pitched on Friday)andit's sizzling away now. Funny enough the oak dideventually fall to the bottom at some point as the top is clear now.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

GrapeApe

I had the same concerns with my Sangiovese that I started a week ago. The oak "dust" wouldn't submerge no matter what I did to it and the yeast just sat there.

On day 2 in the primary I gave it a gentle stir and it seemed to take off after that (could have been coincidence). George says to leave it as is and it will find the sugar so I'm sure I would have had the same results if I hadn't stirred it. However it was really bothering me to see the yeast just sitting on top of the oak dust.

I just racked it into the secondary on Saturday and it's chugging away.

I really relate to your comment about feeling like an expectant father. My first "child", a Merlot has just been degassed and I keep peeking under the cover to see how it's doing. I'm sure it will become old hat after a while, but it's nerve racking for the first couple!

I'm sure the "old timers" are chuckling at us newbies.Edited by: MikeC

Maybe you should put the baby monitor next to the airlock, that would
get you to sleep huh. Now thats nice white noise to sleep to! Blup
blup!!!
smiley4.gif

Excellent questions and concerns. I have not done 1 with the powder yet but when I di Ill know because of yous!

Latest posts

Back