Mosti Mondiale Yeast Nutrients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJGDC

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making wine and I may have screwed it up. I have the Mosti Mondi Zin kit and I added the Yeast Nutrients to the Primary fermentation before I added the actual yeast... Just misread the labels on the packets. Did I really Screw the pooch?

Thanks

If that is the worst thing you ever do, you will be alright making wine. Go ahead and pitch the yeast as long as the temps are in the correct range. The yeast nutrients just help maintain a nice healthy fermentation.

Did not mess up at all. I have made two MM kits where I did not add the yeast nutrients at all. Of course you should follow the directions but ... your good to go. It's yeast food, no problem adding it early.

Thanks! Makes me feel a bit better. Lessons are being learned quickly on my first batch...
1) best to make sure that the new born baby is being watched so that you don't have to rush through the steps and can pay attention.
a) Adding yeast nutrient rather than the yeast to your must.
b) and not trying to rush the yeast activation because of hungry baby

2) Measure the temp of the must before you start so that you can make sure that you can raise the temp to the upper 70's rather than add the water then measure the temp realizing a bit to late that the must is in the 68 degree range.

3) you must be very careful when sanitizing your hydrometer because you may be making another trip to the shop in the morning to by a new one.

but all is going well... I think the wine is fermenting and tomorrow evening I will know how well its going after I replace my hydrometer. :)

Anyone have any tips on how to quickly and safely sanitize your equipment?

thanks

Buy a couple or three hydrometers, to have on hand! I like to use a spray bottle for a quick and safe spray on everything.

Enjoy

ditto ... on the spray bottle. I keep a full bottle handy on the counter. It's great for a quick test.

Will the spray bottle be as effective? Since we are using the Sulfur fumes and not really the liquid?

I think so, the fumes are just as noticeable if not stronger.
I use this spray bottle in the clip below. Ignore the content, I was playing with iMovie.
[TUBE]v74Q4I3BjM8[/TUBE]

I get my spray bottle at Kroger. Kroger, Publix etc has them for about $1.00. Buy a couple as they will eventually stop working due to the sulfite solution and you don't want to have to run to the store cause the only one you had stopped working.
Of course, that is not as bad as the busted hydrometer!!I second the buy 3 statement on these!!!

Yeah I have 2 now and someone to watch the kiddo when I am playing with the wine... Which by the way is slowly taking over my hose! :))))

Latest posts

Back