WineXpert Yeast nutrient for kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjanu

Reaction score
Hi all. I am in primary for a WinExpert Sauvignon Blanc ( my first). I switched out the EC1118 yeast to VL3 and prepared a starter. It’s been three days and it is very active. I have it fermenting at 65 degrees.

Here’s my question: should I add yeast nutrients such as Fermaid K or, since it is a kit, forgo that addition?

Thanks in advance.

Kits typically have nutrients added, but if you switch to a very needy yeast, you may need to feed. I don’t know how needy VL3 is, but if it’s needs are moderate or high, you should watch it closely and be prepared to supplement. Fermaid O would be my choice in this scenario.

With wine kits, I normally change out the yeast (EC1118) and substitute with more premium yeasts that ferment in a more controlled manner. And am very aware that the fermentation will have very different characteristics - requiring a longer primary phase. So I definitely add extra yeast nutrient. Also - FYI - I acidulate the water addition. 6 grams of tartaric acid per litre with a couple of extra tsp's of malic acid. Don't believe what they tell you about these kits. They are not as balanced as they profess. Treat it like a normal must and step your way through the process slowly. Skipping the 'need for speed'.

With wine kits, I normally change out the yeast (EC1118) and substitute with more premium yeasts that ferment in a more controlled manner. And am very aware that the fermentation will have very different characteristics - requiring a longer primary phase. So I definitely add extra yeast nutrient. Also - FYI - I acidulate the water addition. 6 grams of tartaric acid per litre with a couple of extra tsp's of malic acid. Don't believe what they tell you about these kits. They are not as balanced as they profess. Treat it like a normal must and step your way through the process slowly. Skipping the 'need for speed'.
I'm very interested in what you base your comment that acid is needed when you add water to a kit? You are the first person I have seen in any forums suggesting that.

If I take my latest kit, a Cheeky Monkey Italian Sangiovese Syrah the pH was out of whack at 4.2 . I've been in touch with the technical staff at Vineco to discuss and they claim that their kits are pre-conditioned and should be balanced at dilution. But in my instance this clearly isn't the case. As these kits are designed for early drinking, I presume they don't want to over acidulate. Some background on the kit - it was a standard 10 litre bag with directions to add a further 13 litres to a final volume of 23 litres or 6 gallons. FYI I did not add the full amount of water - stopped at 20 litres (just over your five gallons). I also gave the bentonite a miss. I used their oak sachet in the primary but may use my own oak chips at a latter phase. Also - I changed out the yeast and - taking a leaf out of your posts - added currants. I intend to age this for at least twelve months so clean up will occur with normal racking. With additions of tartaric and a smaller amount of malic I brought the pH down to 3.5 before adding the yeast ( Vintner's Harvest VR21 ) Salut - Craig

If I take my latest kit, a Cheeky Monkey Italian Sangiovese Syrah the pH was out of whack at 4.2 . I've been in touch with the technical staff at Vineco to discuss and they claim that their kits are pre-conditioned and should be balanced at dilution. But in my instance this clearly isn't the case. As these kits are designed for early drinking, I presume they don't want to over acidulate. Some background on the kit - it was a standard 10 litre bag with directions to add a further 13 litres to a final volume of 23 litres or 6 gallons. FYI I did not add the full amount of water - stopped at 20 litres (just over your five gallons). I also gave the bentonite a miss. I used their oak sachet in the primary but may use my own oak chips at a latter phase. Also - I changed out the yeast and - taking a leaf out of your posts - added currants. I intend to age this for at least twelve months so clean up will occur with normal racking. With additions of tartaric and a smaller amount of malic I brought the pH down to 3.5 before adding the yeast ( Vintner's Harvest VR21 ) Salut - Craig

On these small kits that take so much water, I wonder how much the hardness of your water can affect the acid / pH of the final wine? I have never checked the pH of my well water at home that I use for wine making, but the city water at work has a pH of over 8, I would think in a 10L kit that would be enough to move the pH out of the desired range.

On these small kits that take so much water, I wonder how much the hardness of your water can affect the acid / pH of the final wine? I have never checked the pH of my well water at home that I use for wine making, but the city water at work has a pH of over 8, I would think in a 10L kit that would be enough to move the pH out of the desired range.
Agreed. My water (I live in NZ) does vary day to day which indicates how much 'fiddling' goes on at the reservoirs and pump stations. However it usually hovers just under neutral. The lowest I’ve seen was 6.8 some months back but mostly between 7.2 and 7.6. I am starting to regret that I haven't measured the pH of the concentrate. Although there didn't seem much point if I was going to dilute it with a further 10 litres of water.
The ingredient listing on the Cheeky Monkey kit indicates the addition of invert sugar plus tartaric, malic and citric acid, together with yeast nutrient etc. - unfortunately they don't indicate quantities. But it makes sense that if we want to cellar or extend the bottle life beyond twelve months then we need to make adjustments and acidulate the water using tartaric acid as these kits are designed around early drinking and wouldn't go the distance if you follow their recipe.

Latest posts

Back