WineXpert WV Australian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
I have started my second batch of wine last weekend. I pitched the yeast on Sunday. This evening I have noticed that the activity has slowed down.
I plan to rack into my secondary fermentation carboy tomorrow and add the "house" hungarian oak in addition to the oak "dust" I've already added from the kit.

Now...I can follow the directions....or.....

I can ask what ya'll would do. I like my reds to have a bit of "teeth" to them...so could I leave this in the secondary fermentation for say two or three weeks vs. the perscribed 7 to 10 days per the manufacturer's instructions?

All thoughts and advice are very much appreciated!

Just pretend you had to go out of town for a few extra days and finish it up when you get back in two weeks. Leaving it on the oak for a few more days won't hurt.

iThanks Apple.

I've been reading a few articles on oaking...should I wait and oak after fining or is it okay to begin the oak at secondary fermentation. Would it depend on whether I plan to do an extended "bulk age" after fining?

We often wait until we're in the bulk aging stage to oak. Then you can leave the oak in longer than what you would earlier in the game.

I think I answered my own question. Everything I'm reading through research suggests adding the oak after fining....this would then simulate "aging" in a barrel.

So would I add the fining agents let it settle out the recommended 14 days and then rack to another carboy and add the oak or could I add the oak at the same time I add the fining agents?

I would wait till after racking off finings so they dont get attached to the oak.

If you wait till you are done fining to add your oak, then you can leave your oak in longer than if you add it with your finings.

Back