WineXpert Would heat shrink capsules prevent mold problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilled

Reaction score
If bottled wine is stored in a very high humidity environment, like 90% or higher, would heat shrink capsules prevent any mold from getting to the corks?
If so this could eliminate the potential of mold problems.

Thanks for your opinions.

You could wax dip if the heat shrink caps would be ineffective. At least one would assume that would be much more effective. Especially if all you need is something air tight.

Chilled, while I agree that the capsules are not air tight, I do think they would go a long way to inhibit (if not prevent) mold growth. Mold spores are airborne and need two things to survive and prosper; moisture and an organic substance to feed upon. I don't think the spores have the capability to move under the capsule and as long as the glass bottle (inorganic) is free of organic matter, they would have a hard time surviving.

Thanks Paradox and Rocky

Short of spending some serious money I have two options.
1. Use an old cellar that would be pretty temperature stable but extremely high humidity.
2. Store in an unheated room in the house with temperature swings from 55 to 78F. That would be winter to summer.

So, I'm trying to figure a way to avoid the mold problems associated with the cellar.

I may give the capsules a try and watch them somewhat closely. I would make sure the bottle under the capsule is clean after filling and corking (no organic matter, wine).

Any other ideas or suggestions?

All opinions or ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:
How about adding a AC (window unit) to the unheated room in the house. Making that room your cellar?

I think the only two things that could harbour the mould would be the cork and the label. Most mould I have seen on my bottles has been from wine drippings on the bottle/cork and paper labels. If you make sure your bottles and the end of the cork are cleaned after bottling this should eliminate that part. Another option would be to use synthetic corks rather than real cork. As for the labels, most are paper and organic so susceptible to mould so you just have to make sure they are clean, although plastic labels can be used.
The biggest thing is to make sure everything is cleaned before putting the bottles away.

Ditto on the Dehumidifier. If you have a high humidity cellar (like most in the northeast) investing in a dehumidifier is your best option IMO. AND if you can I would recommend a hose off the the tank to a floor drain (model dependent) so you don't have to worry about constantly draining the catch tank. :ib

Ditto on the Dehumidifier. If you have a high humidity cellar (like most in the northeast) investing in a dehumidifier is your best option IMO. AND if you can I would recommend a hose off the the tank to a floor drain (model dependent) so you don't have to worry about constantly draining the catch tank. :ib
Thats exactly what I did. I looked on Craigs list and got a used one.

This is an old outside cellar dug into a hillside with a dirt/gravel floor and no drain or electricity.
The unheated room is just not heated in the winter. But I open the door and it is Air conditioned with the rest of the house in the summer. During the summer the AC is set at about 78 F.
Thus the temperature swing from 55 F in winter to 78 F in summer.

I may try making sure the bottles are clean and put heat shrink capsules on them and give it a try.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas and comments.

With your situation.... I would go with waxing like B&W Supply suggests.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas

The dehumidifier may be an option if I run an electrical line and can drill through the lower part of the concrete for a drain hose. This would also involve some digging from outside for the drain hose.
For now I may try wax and maybe see if I can put a capsule over that using a heat gun so I don't have to tilt the bottle in the process.

I'll get something to work even if it is not ideal.

Again, thanks. So much useful information here.

skip the capsule, just wax it. Heat the wax to 180*+ and it will sanitize the top along with sealing it. It has been used for hundreds of years for wine storage in caves.

If wax coating the top is not feasible, but you do the capsules alone, you could spray or wipe downthe capsules with clorox or other cleaner while in storage. Chlorine bleach is big no-no on corks directly, but on the capsule (covering the exposed part of the cork) and the bottle, it shouldn't be an issue.

Bart, I know what you're trying to say here but I shutter at the thought of clorox near the wine and you're right he could probably get away with it. I'm assuming you're talking about wiping away any mold with it as it shows. As many of you know I've started waxing my bottles. I counter sink the corks about 1/4" and fill the void with a button of melted wax. I find it faster, neater and a lot easier opening and cleaning bottles. The little button of wax pops off as soon as you hit it with the cork screw and no residue to clean off.

Latest posts

Back