Worst day of this hobby for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
I had 4 carboys of wine aging for 2 years. I have been adding k meta every 3 months. Today I went ahead and tasted all of them and i am not impressed at all and think they are all ruined. It smells like brandy and taste gives nice warmth to your head right away. Maybe i added to much k meta. no idea but think i will dump all my carboy after 2 years of aging and start from scratch again...

What were the wines made from. Did you oak them? Did you rack them off the lees?

Hi Carlos, All may not be lost. I agree with Julie that you are describing a wine with lots of fusel alcohols. What was your recipe and what was the starting gravity? What was the yeast you used and what was the temperature of your fermenting room?

I agree with all the above posters -

Please give us more information so we can help you.

Have they been topped up completely during aging? It sounds like you may have had some air space and they oxidize a little.

hi guys sorry for the not so good post. as soon as i started to write it i had to get off the computer very quick. I kept notes of the processes and kept the carboy filled and only had at the most 3 inches of head space.

1st is the WE eclipse sonoma valley pinot noir
2nd. WE cali cab/merlot
RJS super tuscan
WE limited edition 2013 oregon pinot noir

this is nots on the WE Eclipse pinot
1/27/2014 rack to secondary added 1 pound of thawed fresh blackberries ans 1 tbsp of rouge soft tannin. Left in secondary for 15 days. 02/11/2014 added Meta and degased. Racked to 5 gallon carboy and 1/2 gallon jug on 2/26/14 . Racked backed into 5 gallon and filled 1 full bottle of pinoit into 750 ml bottle and blend of 75% pinot with 25% cab/merlot. Sg was about .994-2 . On 6/30/2014 added 1/4 tsp K-meta will check again 9/30/2014 gave k meta on 9/30/2014 will give again 12/30/2014. gave k meta on1/12/15.. gave k meta on april 12th, gave k meta june 10, 2015 gave k meta on sept 10, gave k meta gave 10-19-15

LIMITED EDITION PINOT:

Started 5/19/2014 followed the kit directions. Added 1 1/2 tsp of FT Soft rouge tannin and 1 tsp of yeast energizer. Added heavy french oak chips which came with kit. Starting SG was 1.092. due to a busy weekend I racked to secondary on 5/26/2014. Nothing was added to wine. 7/2/2014 added clearing agents and degassed. on 7/17/2014 racked off lees added 1/4 K meta. gave 1/4 k meta 10/31/2014 , gave at 1/12/15..gave k meta on april 12th, gave k meta on june 10th, gave sept 10th 2015. gave 10-19-2015

these are my notes...

I have notes for the other 2 as well

I think could have gotten a bit oxidized.. i moved 2 times past 2 years.. took extra care in the move but i never know.

i sometimes think i tweaked it a bit much.. i am lost. I should have just bottle aged them... i guess

it got up there in temp for a short bit but i cooled it off. Living in texas its a pain

Back