Wood Stain on Grapes - what to do?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khubred

Junior
Reaction score
Unfortunately, our neighbor sprayed our good neighbor fence with water based redwood stain, and it went through the cracks and sprayed all of our grapes in the first row, of this 1st year harvest. Needless to say, we were Very Upset! This happened about a month ago, and we hope to be able to pick off the grapes that got hit, and discard them, but curious if anyone has any recommendations to discard this entire row (6 of 12 plants) - it would be 1/2 of our Cab S. Do you think that the stain would dissipate enough to not be a major problem if we missed some?

Thanks for your response.

I would not want that in my wine if you can still see it on your grapes. Sorry for your loss.

You could hand inspect and scrape the grapes and maybe recover some or you could cut out the middlemen and suggest to the neighbor that for a case good wine he would be forgiven.

Do you think that the stain would dissipate enough to not be a major problem if we missed some?

Yes. I'd use them all if it were me. It's water based. All that will be left is the pigment, and that is going to settle out. Most of it will be removed with the leftovers after pressing.

If you're skittish about using them, then man, you'd better not ever drink a bottle of commercial wine or eat commercial grapes. Grapes are one of the most pesticide and fungicide intensive crops commercially grown.

Yes. I'd use them all if it were me. It's water based. All that will be left is the pigment, and that is going to settle out. Most of it will be removed with the leftovers after pressing.

If you're skittish about using them, then man, you'd better not ever drink a bottle of commercial wine or eat commercial grapes. Grapes are one of the most pesticide and fungicide intensive crops commercially grown.

As usual, I have to agree with JS. This is a water based stain. It has been a month. Depending on how much stain has been applied to the grapes, I would not worry too much.

As an asside, I wonder if you could try to wash the grapes (before picking) a week or two before they are ripe?

Latest posts

Back