Mosti Mondiale Won't clear after 2nd degas with vacuum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcasaccio

Reaction score
I have a Pinot Grigio kit that I racked and degassed. Instructions state when bulk aging do not add siligel and liquigel, so I have not. It had started to clear pretty nicely, butI think I messed it up. I was using the drill whip degasser, but have since built a hand vacuum pump, so I used it - thinking I'd get rid of any gas that wasnot removed from the whip method. It has clouded up the wine again and it's not clearing, Did I ruin it by degassing a second time? Will it clear again once the siligel/liquigel is added. Should I try to degas again with the vacuum? Please help.

Thanks,
Jack

We dont know when you started.

I would think you may have degassed the wine by now. I dont know why it clouded up unless there was settlement in the carboy. I'm thinking its still in the secondary. If so I would add the clairifier as you need some "floaties" for it to grab on the way to clear.
When you use a drill you want to "stir" not froth.
Ck back when you see results

I started the kit 3/15. Racked to secondary 3/18, racked again 3/26 (degassed at this time with whip) and it did get pretty clear. In the meantime I got a vacuum pump and wanted to be sure I got all the gas out, as it's hard to tell with the whip. When I used the vacuum, it got cloudy again- this was on 4/12 - Am I just being too anal and will it clear again?There is some sediment that settled in the carboy, so vacuum must have raised couldiness from that....

Seem lik it fermented fast. 3 days in the primary is FAST. what was the gravity when you transferred? Did you measure the gravity? 11 days and in the trishary is fast. What is the gravity now? Did you add the potassium Metabisulfite?

SG when racking to secondary was 1.040 - instructions stated to rack bet 1.040 - 1.050, so I did.

Cked SG on3/25 and 3/26 @ .990 - instructions stated to rack when SG <= .996

I had this happen with a VN chardonnay. Yes, you have stirrred up some sediment with the pump. The gas bubbles rising have lifted some of the sediment off the bottom. Yes, it will clear again.
smiley1.gif

I agree with admiral. If it was clearing then you should have left it alone until it was clear and racked off any sediment before trying to degas again. It probably needs to all be stirred into suspension so that it all has something to form to or just needs time to settle back down by itself. how long has this been sitting since you hit it with the pump and is not clearing. If its been a few weeks and no signs then maybe its time to use the fining agents included.

Refer to the Rolling Stones:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqLzpcV3OD8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqLzpcV3OD8[/ame]

smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back