Wit Metheglin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I've decided to make three five-gallon batches of mead this year. My first was Cherry Vanilla Melomel. My next two will be Pyment and the following recipe I have derived for what I call Wit Metheglin (to use the spices for a Belgian White Ale):

12 lbs wildflower honey
3 lbs wheat dried malt extract
2 oz. dried bitter orange peel
2 oz. coriander
4 grams paradise seeds.
zest of one orange.

I plan to boil the wheat DME and bitter orange peel for 30 minutes with one gallon of water. I will add crused coriander seed and paradise seed with 10 minutes left in the boil, and the orange zest at kettle knockout and let it sit 15 minutes. I will then add the honey and enough water to bring to five gallons.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I'd appreciate them.

I'd suggest you share this will all of us in 2 years :)

That looks very interesting. I had not thought of using malt extract in my meads. Can't wait to hear how this one turns out. I did make a Cherry Vanilla Mead last year, its still aging in the carboy. I may end up sweetening it a bit, still have not decided.
VPC

When I originally started creating this recipe, I was contemplating just using the White ale spices, thus the name Metheglin. But I only had 12 lbs of honey and thought it might be interesting to throw in 3 lbs of wheat malt extract. So the better name for this mead might be braggot, but I'm not using hops and I'm not planning to carbonate the mead. We'll see what happens and in two years I'll pour anyone a drink of this new mead.

Latest posts

Back