Winter is here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, must be a Riverton thing! Winter also arrived in Riverton, IL over the weekend with seven inches of snow

IMG_1940.jpg

Ok, here is a picture of my vineyard in Riverton Wyoming. Next spring I will plant 25 St. Croix, 33 Petite Pearl, and 33 Somerset seedless.

vineyard-december-2013-2362.jpg
[/IMG]

what little snow we did have before Thanksgiving is mostly gone now. At noon today it was 56 Degrees outside. There is a little bit of snow where sun can't get to it, but that may not last long if the wind keeps blowing.

56 degrees! Wow, it's been so cold here that I didn't even bother leaving the house the past two days. Had a light dusting of snow this morning, but things are supposed to warm up for the next three days and I'll take it.

Almost a foot of snow on the ground, 4 more inches coming in overnight into tomorrow......Blah!

Starting December 1 all we got was cold no snow. I Wish we would have go some snow then at least it would have been warmer. The last few days have been fairly nice.

Last edited:
Looks like you will have a white christmas bobr! Love the pics! We also are suppose to warm up, hoping to not have a muddy christmas here. Cowboyram i control the airtraffic into your airport. I did not realize the weather had been so warm there. Your vineyard looks well prepared for your vines. This is the first winter for mine. I was kind of hoping for a mild one. Good luck!

Here we have only about 8 inches of snow we got when it was about 10 degrees out. It is now -12F right now and is around -25 to -30F in the outlying mountain valleys (Adirondacks).

There sure are a lot of Rivertons here on the forum!

Last week it was -16 most mornings, and by the time we went out to the cows it had not warmed up much; we were lucky to make 10 above most days. It has been real nice feeding this week with the warmer weather. It looks like we may see some snow on Thursday.

Yeah, with my new grapes being planted this year, some as late as October, I was hoping for somewhat of a normal winter for them, but this stuff, this early can't be good. If the snow would stay to insulate them, I'd be OK with that, but we are supposed to get in the mid-40's for a couple of days and then snow and freezing rain for the weekend.
Last year, I gambled and planted some grapes in Oct and they came out fine this spring. I put some soil around the plants and mulched the rows and of course it was not too bad of a winter. I thought that I'd gamble again this year when I found some marked down grape plants on sale at Lowe's, so it will be interesting to see if they come out in the spring.
You can keep those temperatures out in Wyoming, or to my surprise New York! Darn global warming!

Last week it was -16 most mornings, and by the time we went out to the cows it had not warmed up much; we were lucky to make 10 above most days. It has been real nice feeding this week with the warmer weather. It looks like we may see some snow on Thursday.

What would be the earliest/safest time for you to plant grapes out there? Normally, how long would your growing season be?

Ha, Don't Squat With Your Spurs On! Did you ever read that book? Oh gosh, 15 -20 years ago, there was a group of us who shot in the cowboy action shoots and the one female that traveled with us (national Champion in her class back then) gave me that book. I'll have to see if I still have it.

Cowboy Shooting 001.jpg

I was planning on a delivery date to be that first week in May, and to get them planted soon after. If need be I do have walk in cooler that I could keep them dormant in for a few days. No I have not read that book.

Evidently, real cowboys do wear nametags.

Hello, I'm
Wyatt Earp

After a few hours in the local saloon drinking that rot gut, it helps identify ya when you're passed out on the street.

Really, you can plant in early May? Do you mulch the rows, or do anything to protect the roots? Soil temperatures coming up by then?

I was planning on a delivery date to be that first week in May, and to get them planted soon after. If need be I do have walk in cooler that I could keep them dormant in for a few days. No I have not read that book.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

Cowboy Book 001.jpg

Well we have kicked everyone's a$$ in the most snowfall in the country so far. Erie, Pa is about 14 miles north of me has got over 45" of snow so far and that is double of the next closest city. I'm about 15 miles south of them and we get all the lake effect snow fall resulting in about 25% more.

snow.jpg

Hmmm.....Yeah, I'd say you have some snow! Ha, in years past, I always dreamed of living in a two room cabin in the mountains of Wyoming or Montana. In the fall I'd pack it full of supplies and everything that I would need to survive a long winter. Now, 2 1/2 years into retirement, I'm thinking some place a little warmer. Not necessarily the deep south, since I wouldn't like a place that did not have 4 seasons, but maybe some place like southern Tennessee. or Missouri.

Latest posts

Back