Winter is here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a reason I need to be very careful choosing which varieties to grow. Hoo boy, we're in for some extreme changes.

28w2adh.jpg

It has gotten into the 40s the past two days. What a way to start the year! Bees have even been out. Snow is melting. Nice, but I know it can't last.

Well it's about 10° here but we still hold the snowiest city in the country so far. I live about 15 miles south of Erie and we've easily got 25-30 more inches than them but we're just a small college town.

snow fall.jpg

that is crazy runningwolf, thats higher then most of our high tides in the summer.....sorry my friend, i would move...hows the wine cellar.....

Yes I live in Fargo. Actually I am a little jealous of Runningwolf. We don't have that much snow and with these temps I would prefer a couple feet of insulation for the grapes.

I'm seeing some low temps getting close to zero F in Southeast Missouri. This winter may be the test to see if muscadine grapes will survive and reliably produce this far north.

Greg remember it all melted two weeks ago but came back with a vengeance several days ago. Now we are up to 70" with the storm yesterday. We are very concerned about losing vines now due to the cold.

It has gotten into the 40s the past two days. What a way to start the year! Bees have even been out. Snow is melting. Nice, but I know it can't last.

Forget going to Florida, it sounds like Riverton, Utah is the place to be this winter. It's -5 this morning with some snow on the ground and Mondays high is supposed to be -1. I guess that there is no use in worrying about the grapes....we'll see how they look in the spring. We haven't had a cold winter like this in a long time. On the bright side, maybe this cold will help kill off some of the insects and I'd rather be here than you guys in ND, NY or PA. I hate global warming!

Got 3 or 4" snow yesterday and the temp is trying to get to
+ 1. Probably have about a foot and a half on the ground.
In the western foothills Maine.

bill

Dan, if they are buried in that much snow, I would think they would ok. But it looks like you are in for some roller coaster temps. Fortunately your bitter cold snaps are only a day or two in-between some warmer weather. So, hopefully, if the vines are insulated with snow, they won't have time to get too cold before it warms up again. The snow will temper the swings. Crossing my fingers for you folks.

The problem Greg is we had some very high winds, so the snow has been going all over the place. Some bare spots and high drifts else where. Some grapes are more delicate than others (don't ask me which). The real danger comes when it's -5° or colder. At that temp your killing of the vines. Root structure is still ok but it'll be two years before you get product again. I am not an expert on this. This is what I got from talking to a grower yesterday.

With snow piled up outside the door, my little fig tree is getting ready to leaf out and I have 4 grape plants growing. With a winter storm warning in effect, it's nice to see some green. Makes me think that spring is right around the corner...yeah right!

IMG_1950.jpg

Man you guys are making it seem really nice to be here in Utah. We did get an inch of snow last night, but the high today was still 35 with a low of 23. Nice sunny day too.

We got 8 inches last night in here in Riverton Wyoming.

Hey, glad to hear that you will get some moisture in the ground! Around here, the snow never stays on the ground long enough to help insulate when the cold temperatures are around. I just hope that this cold helps to kill off the tick and Japanese Beetle population. I don't think that we have had cold and snow like this in 20 years.....been a little spoiled.

Its almost -20F here now. I was actually hoping we would get a cold winter to see how hardy some of my vines are. I bought about 10 different varieties from Double A including some vinifera vines like Ives, Chancellor, Zweigelt, Dornfelder, Cabernet Franc and Lemberger. Also testing Landot Noir, Regent, Leon Millet and a few others that should be cold hardy like Petite Pearl and Marquette. We have about 8" of snow cover and I'm not giving the vines any protection at all. If they don't survive they won't be planted again. I expect at least 1/2 won't make it. We'll find out in spring I guess.

Pat

Latest posts

Back