WineXpert Winexperts vs Mosti Mondiale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bkisel...

Bottling at day 16-24? I would have thought day 28 at the earliest. Which of the MM brands are you making?

BTW, please do not be afraid to start a new thread, especially when your question has pretty much nothing to do with the existing SIX year old thread.

Steve

Hi Steve,

White Zinfandel Blanc bought and started today. I have "Ver. 3" instructions but what I'm saying can be confirmed by these "Ver. 4" instructions on MM web site... http://www.mostimondiale.com//images/documents/InstructionsLaBodegaOAJMEAJMEG_en.pdf If I'm misreading please do let me know.

Sorry about the date sutff. I was actually doing a search prior to posting my question about using the MM bucket as a primary. This thread was listed in the search and its title caught my eye and I began to read this tread. I'm became concerned about some posters saying, in effect, that MM would not be good unless a lot of aging (or words to that effect). I was concerned because I want this to be a good wine without having to wait 6 months or more.

Thanks...

Last edited:
As I have posted many times on this forum, I am not a big fan of MM, particularly their red wines. I find them thin, lacking body and taste. I have made, at one time or another, the following lines:

Renaissance
Renaissance Impressions
All Juice Original
All Juice Masters

In fairness to MM, I have been pleased with certain of their white wines. On the other hand, I have had great success with the very high quality WineExpert, RJ Spagnols and what used to be Cellar Craft kits. I know that some will disagree with this and that is fine. Some have been very pleased with MM, particularly when they age them for extended periods. My thinking is, why coax these wines along, tweak them, age them, etc. where there are so many great alternatives.

As I have posted many times on this forum, I am not a big fan of MM, particularly their red wines. I find them thin, lacking body and taste. I have made, at one time or another, the following lines:

Renaissance
Renaissance Impressions
All Juice Original
All Juice Masters

In fairness to MM, I have been pleased with certain of their white wines. On the other hand, I have had great success with the very high quality WineExpert, RJ Spagnols and what used to be Cellar Craft kits. I know that some will disagree with this and that is fine. Some have been very pleased with MM, particularly when they age them for extended periods. My thinking is, why coax these wines along, tweak them, age them, etc. where there are so many great alternatives.

I pretty much agree with Rocky. Even the expensive Meglioli line has been a disappointment to me or at least the Meg. Barolo was. I had expected much more for its ultra-premium price.

I guess to be fair, most any of us have had a disaster with one brand of kit or another. I imagine there are plenty of happy MM customers out there. Personally, I have never had good success with wineXpert kits, but thousands of others swear by them and rightly so. It comes down to what one is comfortable with that really matters.

Wish I had this info before this morning's purchase, I don't think I would have gotten a MM kit. Yet, it is a blush and not a red so just maybe I'll luck out and my wife will like it.

I'm became concerned about some posters saying, in effect, that MM would not be good unless a lot of aging (or words to that effect). I was concerned because I want this to be a good wine without having to wait 6 months or more.

Thanks...

I have never bottled a kit wine that early,and I have done a lot. I did do an MM Barolo and after a year it was pretty good. IMO I don't think you can make a "good" wine without giving it time

I have never bottled a kit wine that early,and I have done a lot. I did do an MM Barolo and after a year it was pretty good. IMO I don't think you can make a "good" wine without giving it time

I hear you, maybe I'm just more easily pleased or don't yet know what I'm missing. My wife and I are drinking wine from the first two RJS Vino del Vida kits, both are their "4 week" kits with a few months bottle aging and both my wife and I are pleased with the results.

I thought that one of the appeals of going with kits is that you can get to drink a decently satisfying wine in a relatively short time. No?

I think they assure that the wine is drinkable in that time period...not that it will be truly developed. Regardless, I think more people drink their kit wines earlier than letting them age. The average person may not be so keen on spending money for something that will take at least 18 months to come around.

bkisel:

White Zinfandel Blanc is a variety not a brand. (BTW, Blanc means White.) Since it's in a pail, it's probably the "Original All Juice". When asking about kits it's a good idea to always mention the brand name. Sometimes the instructions differ, and sometimes the answers are different for one brand than another.

Steve

Wish I had this info before this morning's purchase, I don't think I would have gotten a MM kit. Yet, it is a blush and not a red so just maybe I'll luck out and my wife will like it.

Dont fret. I have done many Mosti and WE kits. Also done many RJSpagnols and Cellar Craft. They all have kits that they do best. The Mosti Rosa D'Avola is a favorite of mine and sourced from Italy. OTOH I have had Mosti kits that were hard to clear and some that come out thin. I have also had WE kits that have lingering kit taste. Over time you will find kits wou prefer from each of the companies.

Last edited:
I hear you, maybe I'm just more easily pleased or don't yet know what I'm missing. My wife and I are drinking wine from the first two RJS Vino del Vida kits, both are their "4 week" kits with a few months bottle aging and both my wife and I are pleased with the results.

I thought that one of the appeals of going with kits is that you can get to drink a decently satisfying wine in a relatively short time. No?

I too have made a few Vino del Vida kits from spagnols and they do say to age 3 months after bottling, but have you had a bottle last longer? if so, did it not taste better? On these kits you can drink them as early as they claim and you may like them, all I'm saying is they taste much better the longer you let them age. VDV's Italian Valpolicella ,IMO, is pretty good at a year, and it was even better at 2. Kit wines can be drank at an early age if you enjoy them but if you make one and you're not happy with it, before writing it off, put it away and try again at a later date. You may be surprised :b

bkisel:

White Zinfandel Blanc is a variety not a brand. (BTW, Blanc means White.) Since it's in a pail, it's probably the "Original All Juice". When asking about kits it's a good idea to always mention the brand name. Sometimes the instructions differ, and sometimes the answers are different for one brand than another.

Steve

Steve[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand that the brand is MM as say opposed to say WE or RJS. This MM is an "Original All Juice" (as you said) and is labeled "White Zinfandel Blanc". I thought it curious that "Blanc" was added as it does sound redundant.

Curious about these kit instructions. My last RJS kit had instructions newer than what RJS had online. With this MM kit I got older instructions than what MM has online.

I'm here to learn Steve and really do appreciate your feedback.

Thanks...

Dont fret. I have done many Mosti and WE kits. Also done many RJSpagnols and Cellar Craft. They all have kits that they do best. The Mosti Rosa D'Avola is a favorite of mone and sourced from Italy. OTOH I have had Mosti kits that were hard to clear and some that come out thin. I have also had WE kits that have lingering kit taste. Over time you will find kits wou prefer from each of the companies.

Thanks Tony. I appreciate the encouragement.

I too have made a few Vino del Vida kits from spagnols and they do say to age 3 months after bottling, but have you had a bottle last longer? if so, did it not taste better? On these kits you can drink them as early as they claim and you may like them, all I'm saying is they taste much better the longer you let them age. VDV's Italian Valpolicella ,IMO, is pretty good at a year, and it was even better at 2. Kit wines can be drank at an early age if you enjoy them but if you make one and you're not happy with it, before writing it off, put it away and try again at a later date. You may be surprised :b

No, Haven't yet had a bottle last longer. I don't have the dates in front of me but the Pinot Noir VDV was start just this Jan. and the Pinot Grigio VDV about a month afterwards. I'll try to set aside a few bottles of each for maybe opening around Christmas and hopefully remember how they are tasting now.

I do know that my wife is very pleased with the Pinot Grigio, she said it is on par with $8-$10 Pinot Grigios she's bought in the past. That's not bad results for a kit costing ~ $75 even adding in the cost of bottles and corks. [equipment to start this hobby were given to me by a friend.] I'm also happy enough with the VDV Pinot Noir. I have high hopes for the RJS grape pack Washington Merlot that is in the works alongside the MM kit.

Thanks...

I thought it curious that "Blanc" was added as it does sound redundant.
Remember, these kits are made in Canada, a bilingual (English & French) country. MM is located in French speaking Canada (Quebec).

Steve

Latest posts

Back