WineXpert Winexperts vs Mosti Mondiale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
Okay, since I am a newbie on this forum and hobby of wine making can someone or everyone tell me which is the better kits. I assume the MM ones are because they have all juice and thereforetheyprovide a better quality wine. The prices are almost identical and my first instinct is the more juice the better.

Is this true?

I don't know if I would say just because there is more juice that it is better. The quality of the juice goes into the picture as well. I have not made a MM kit yet, but will probably try one when George gets them in.

I have read a lot of reviews from those that have made them. From my impression, it is either you love them or hate them. To give benefit to the manufacturer, I think many that said they hated the brand tried drinking the wine too young. More juice equals more solids which in turn require more aging. From those I have read that say they loved the wine did state that the wine had aged for around 3 years.

Like I said, I have not made the MM brand myself. I believe there are a few on this forum that have though, so I am sure they will step in to give their opinion. I look forward to giving one a try myself.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe great points. I knew there was more to it than just the quantitiy of juice.

I am going to try a kit myself.

I've made a few MM kits. Smurfe is right, they do need lots of aging. They are high quality kits with lots of high quality juice. However, their design goals are different. MM Alljuice is meant to be made and aged. WE kits are meant to be made and somewhat aged, but they are developed for the early drinker to get a taste that is good much sooner.

That also is not to say that WE kits don't age gracefully. They do benefit from age just as much, but not as dramatically as MM kits. So in short WE kits taste better earlier, but after about 18 months, they catch up to each other.

The MM port "La Bodega" is out of this world!

I must admit from the discussions, making MM kit and stashing it away for awhile sounds great. Thanks all for the info on the differences.

Mine has been aging about a year now. However, it tasted awesome about 8 weeks after bottling. I've saved 20 bottles (375ml) that I will not open until year 3!

The trick is to make LOTS of port so you always have some to drink. That way you can age it too!

So far, I've made the MM La Bodega, Winexpert, RJ Spagnols (regular and Orange Chocolate port).

The RJS regular port is good, but is my least favorite, followed by winexpert, then the RJS OC port, and finally the MM port. Until I tried the MM port, the WE port is the port that all my family and friends would rave about.

The RJS limited OC port is very young, but so incredible as well.

Hey Dean,

Where does your Chocolate/Orange port kit rate against the MM port?

They are two different things, in my opinion. The OC port is awesome, but I would consider it more a desert wine due to the subtle flavoring. The MM port is more of a typical port and is the closest I have made to a commercial expensive port.

I'd say you need both!

I have one of the MM Amarone kit that I'm working on. So, far I really like it. I do think I may purchase another one.
I like a full bodied red wine. What is a Port like? I recently have looked at the La Bodega wondering if this would be something that would be a nice addition. Would this be something that I would like; being a full bodied red wine drinker?

It would definately meet the full bodied criteria but it is a sweet wine too.

How many gallons does the MM port kit make? 3 as usual?

I might have to buy two kits because I only have 6 and 5 gallon carboys
smiley2.gif

Edited by: rshosted

Thank you for your reply Waldo! I like the MM Ramaone kit I bought and I think I will try the MM La Bodega. Even though it may be to sweet for my taste, it will be nice to have on hand for those who don't share my dry full bodied taste.

Quote...
Thank you for your reply Waldo! I like the MM Ramaone kit I bought and I think I will try the MM La Bodega. Even though it may be to sweet for my taste, it will be nice to have on hand for those who don't share my dry full bodied taste.

Hi! im new here but i just want to warn jsmahoney...

a port is VERY sweet not just a "off dry" type of sweetness...
just imagine a frozen juice (from welch concentrate) but add only 2 can instead of 3 while you make it.. you will have a very sweet juice... just like in a port. and the alcool ending is about 16% and you can add brandy or pure alcool (94%) to crank up the alcool level to the 20% (usually ports are 20% alcool) you will surely love this kind of wine but you wont drink that while you eat (you will drink that (in small glass) with the chocolate cake or any other chocolate dessert
smiley2.gif

i made the Bodega and this port is awesome. there is a cacao nose on that one and the taste is the best out there fora port.

i also made a Gerwurtz (all juice) but i did not find in the taste what i was expecting... i was aiming more for a spicy type gewurtz but this all juice gewurtz is made from italian grape so the high temperature in italy make this kind of grape less spicy and offer a more citrus like taste and aroma (i was looking for lychee and floral nose
smiley19.gif
) next time i will seek more german gerwurtz :D

anyway hi to all members here!

Welcome David from Quebec. I have just started selling the MM kits and your feedback is most appreciated.

If you like Gewurztraminers, are you going to try the WE Limited Edition one this year. From what I understand, it is more in the traditional style and has the lychee and rose characteristics.

Again, thanks and welcome to our forum.

Thanks to the warm welcome!

i will try to help as much as i can!

since im from canada (particulary Province of quebec) i have acces to ALL wine kit manufacturers.

i think in the US it's pretty hard to find all of them. Just to let you know (if you have some vacation around here i could tell you some good adress to have very nice kits at a very good price... i always check them all
smiley2.gif

Like i said previously i have made some Mosti Pail and the wonderfull Port kit (a bit more expensive than other but oh my god the taste!)

i have fired up my bucket (yesterday) a new test for me The Mosti Mondiale 16L Renaissance kit (a chianti with dried raisin) i cannot say anyhting yet since the wine is not yet ready but the juice smells good, (and taste good) the color is very dark and seem to be rich!

I also plan to make the Limited Cellarcraft Red mountain (whasington) Cab Sauv this month (when it will arrive at the shop where im buying it)

i love All nice big kit. i once did a 7.5L kit and i wont go there anymore.
it's the same steps and cleaning as a 16L kit but yeild a wine that does not even compare. i was very dissapointed with the 7.5L kit. for 1 or 2 $ more a bottle i dont take chance and make a wine i will have fun and pleasure to drink!

From my experience most high end kit (from any company) are alike teh compete very well and produce a very good wine. Since im not rich or have too much money the Price of those kits is a big influence in the balance of which one i will choose. just to give you an example, i can have a Cellarcraft Showcase kit (with a grape pack) for under 100$ can and the same equvalent kit (lets say a Winexpert Crushendo) it's 155$ plus Tax. so for 2 crushendo i have 3 CC showcase... so the choice is easy.

so you will se me more often since i have found this nice forum!

i will surely post some topin on Oak cube because im looking to buy some Stavin cube to tweak my kits!

Thanks

david_quebec, thank you so much for telling about the Port. I hadn't check the forum for a few days, and glad I checked this one back. The Island Mists kits are sweet and "weak". And, not being for my taste, but for others in the family they do fine. I do like my Cabernet's, Shiraz,and this Amarone; I think the Amaronewill be my best wine yet. Maybe I should purchase a Port at a local liquor store before the purchase of a kit. Thank you for your advise.
smiley2.gif
Janet

I'm confused. I bought and started my first MM kit today - a White Zinfandel Blanc (on sale for $99.00). The instructions have me bottling (Day 16-24). The instructions "recommend" leaving the winet o age gracefully is [in] a dark and cool place for a minimum of 1 month (to allow the wine to get over "bottle shock") after this it syas... "Its nobility, complexity and finesse will reward you for your patience... GUARANTEED!"

I understand there can be significant benefits/improvements to aging a wine but since MM offers such a guarantee shouldn't the wine be decent enough to drink after just the 1 month bottle aging? If MM were concerned about their guarantee would't they recommend a longer aging period?

Thanks...

bkisel...

Bottling at day 16-24? I would have thought day 28 at the earliest. Which of the MM brands are you making?

BTW, please do not be afraid to start a new thread, especially when your question has pretty much nothing to do with the existing SIX year old thread.

Steve

Latest posts

Back