RJ Spagnols Winery Super Tuscan tasting note

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
WOW!. Why didn't someone tell me how delicious this was earlier. Hahaha. I know I read tons of post saying how delicious this was. I started it back in July and it has been in a vadai barrel since the 1st of January. Topped up the barrel today and tasted. Did I really make this or did someone else come in and switch it was something expensive 50 dollar Super Tuscan. Tweaks for this were some Hungarian chips during secondary and 2 medium plus French oak spirals during bulk aging. Also added 1 and 1 half teaspoon of grand cru tannin and 6 ounces of simple syrup. Please excuse my apparent bragging but I can't help but be excited about this one. It's still got a couple months in Barrel can't wait to bottle this one.

Last edited:
Tony: I'm right there with you in the enthusiasm for this kit. I just started mine back on Dec 1st and week 4 in the brand new Vadai ended yesterday. I decided to leave it in there another week, but can't get over how good this very young wine is already tasting.

Tony, I started mine in July also. The only tweak I did to the kit was to layer 3 ounces of medium toast french cubes for a month and a half. I really like the flavor that the huge bag of untoasted american oak shavings used in the primary gave this wine. I am becoming a fan of untoasted American oak. I have a feeling this kit will be really really good early, sometime between a year and year and half.
I bottled it last weekend because I needed the carboy

Yep, this kit is on my permanent short list. I didn't tweak it at all, and it's very yummy. I think I could go with an ounce or two of medium heavy toast American oak but that's about it. It's got nice body, great fruit up front and a very satisfying finish.

Tony T.:

Based on your comment, I'm thinking about adding medium-plus oak spirals to my Super Tuscan. I'd prefer to avoiding tasting the wine often because of the need to top up. I assume you kept the spirals in for about 6 weeks, but I'm curious to find out what you actually did.

Last edited:
I had heard that. That should be a killer one as it will be 18L (instead of 16L Winery Series) plus the grape pack!

Mike, vadai?.....what the hells is this,lol....did you hear RJ Spag`s puttin out an en primeur super tuscan!!!....can`t wait:dg

Any thoughts guys on the Megioli Rojo Intenso, it thought this kit was made as a Super Tuscan?

Tony T.:

I'm curious to find out what you actually did.

This is the kit that comes with 2 jars of grape skins. I have never done a kit that had the skins in the jars and let me tell you it was messy. Combined the provided oak and grape skins in brew bag for easy racking. Squeezed the bag daily. The 2 ounces of Hungarian medium Plus oak cubes oak was in secondary for 25 days, I did not realize they were in so long until just now. After clearing and ranking I added the 2 medium plus French spirals far 4 weeks. Racked to barrel mid December that's when I added to the tannin and syrup. The syrup I use is torrani pure cane sugar syrup. Hope this helps at your own risk.

Tony: you're absolutely right about those jars being awkward. I held back roughly two cups of water and put about a cup into each jar after I emptied them. Put the lid back on shook the heck out of them, then dumped the contents right into the primary.

Jim

Ive been telling you guys forever about this kit and you finally just tasted it now???? I dont speak highly of 2 many kits but this 1 is the best IMO. Didnt I send you a Super Tuscan Tony awhile back?

This is the kit that comes with 2 jars of grape skins. I have never done a kit that had the skins in the jars and let me tell you it was messy. Combined the provided oak and grape skins in brew bag for easy racking.

This is what I did, and I agree that the jars are rather a pain to empty into the bag. My wife and I struggled the whole time. Next time I see those jars I'm going to grab a large spoon and shovel the goo into the bag. Once you get about half of it in there, you can add some water, put the lid back on the jar, and shake it up... then it pours right out.

The jar of skins were not a problem. My concern was the oak chips and power. We decided to make a tea bag type filter out of coffee filters. It was very effective and after using it in the primary it was easy to remove and strain the back into the secondary. Great kit.

image-1643725243.jpg

Ive been telling you guys forever about this kit and you finally just tasted it now???? I dont speak highly of 2 many kits but this 1 is the best IMO. Didnt I send you a Super Tuscan Tony awhile back?

I'm a slow learner. Best I remember yours was fantastic. Maybe you should send another so I can make sure mine is good enough. :db:db

I'm a slow learner. Best I remember yours was fantastic. Maybe you should send another so I can make sure mine is good enough. :db:db
I actually do have more but its about the same age as yours and didnt sit in a barrel at all so Im sure yours is way better. I did however add the Tancor Grand Cru, dont remember how much I added for sure but I think it was more like 3/4 - 7/8 tsp of tannin with mine.

I just bottled my first Super Tuscan after 3 months bulk aging. There was a half bottle left over and I decided to sample instead of using a split. (I know, I am impatient at times...) It was pretty darn good today although it tasted a little young. This is going to be awesome at 12-18 months! This will not be my last Super Tuscan. I really like the winery series by RJ Spagnols!

Ok, I'm intrigued. I will have to invest in this Super Tuscan...and will trust that it is as good as has been stated: )

Recommendations on wood to add to this one without a barrel to age in? I don't generally care for oaky wines, so...

Latest posts

Back