WineXpert Bravado Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was mentioned earlier, I don't expect the Super Tuscan to be heavier than a straight cab, but I also fermented it on skins from a pure grape batch, so it's a bit heavier that going straight up.

Interestingly, last barrel tasting I did in the wine room, wifey picked this wine over all of the grape wines, all four of them. She picked it because it was smoother and more integrated, the others were barely a year old and still need some time, but it speaks well of the Bravado.

I didn't expect it to be heavier, but I expected a lot more something. Made by the book with the exception of yeast change. With a name like Bravado I thought it would be similar to some retail super tuscan wines I have tried but not close. Should have been named underwhelming.

On a side note also bottled SL Merlot and OLV Zin and they are both fantastic and will improve with age. Had some gift certificates for Amazon and took a flier on the Fontana Amarone. Celebrated by uncorking a bottle after the marathon bottling session. So far a mistake as this wine is HOT, HOT, HOT after almost two years. Reminds me of mad dog 4040 from high school with a burst of alcohol on the palate, followed by more alcohol taste, with an alcohol lingering bite aftertaste. Will wait a few more years before trying again.

I didn't expect it to be heavier, but I expected a lot more something. Made by the book with the exception of yeast change. With a name like Bravado I thought it would be similar to some retail super tuscan wines I have tried but not close. Should have been named underwhelming.

On a side note also bottled SL Merlot and OLV Zin and they are both fantastic and will improve with age. Had some gift certificates for Amazon and took a flier on the Fontana Amarone. Celebrated by uncorking a bottle after the marathon bottling session. So far a mistake as this wine is HOT, HOT, HOT after almost two years. Reminds me of mad dog 4040 from high school with a burst of alcohol on the palate, followed by more alcohol taste, with an alcohol lingering bite aftertaste. Will wait a few more years before trying again.

Well, iffin that’s the case on the straight up Bravado, I’m thrilled that it’s one of the kits I added skins to!

I’ve got some SLM in bottles I haven’t tried in a long while, and a Meglioli OVZ done with skins from a grape batch, Need to give those a taste soon. Sounds like that Fontana Amarone isn’t up to snuff at the moment, did you make it straight up or with some modifications?

I wasn’t very pleased with my Bravado when I tasted it last fall but had a bottle tonight and thought it shows signs of coming around.

It’s at 17 months now. Maybe this is one that needs a full 24 months to balance out.

I wasn’t very pleased with my Bravado when I tasted it last fall but had a bottle tonight and thought it shows signs of coming around.

It’s at 17 months now. Maybe this is one that needs a full 24 months to balance out.
Let's hope so. I made two of these, the first was because it sounded like it might be decent, the second kit was purchased a few months later because it was on a "just plain too cheap to pass up" type of sale.

FWIW i entered my Bravado in the WMT red wine competition for some feedback. It was young, just about 1 yr, and made by the book in bulk 11 months. Surprisingly ended up earning a silver medal!
From my tasters I noticed this wine totally transforming after airing out for >1 hr. I think some time will be of great benefit to this one.

I’ve gotten through my tasters for this one. They improved with each bottle.

The 750’s are still on the shelf. I’ll move them in circulation in about 6 months. It’ll be close to 2 years old by then, I think.

EDIT: I was down looking at the wine and was surprised when I found a stray 375 of the Super Tuscan. Good news! I can sample that one in a month or so.

Last edited:
We opened a 750 last night and tasted after it had been open for 20 minutes. It got RAVE reviews and got better as the evening went on...really opened up and was a very nice.
I expect it will continue to improve. Very pleased.

Outstanding, one the best I’ve made along with forza, goes without saying I will purchase winexperts limited editions kits every summer.

In doing a little “winemaking self awareness” experiment to see if I truly have a subconscious bias against wines from a kit, I sent this one in to another contest, along with a couple other young wines from grapes.
Turns out I actually do have bias. Maybe I’m tasting all the fruit and the potential of the grape wines.
Because in the end, two wines I felt were better actually scored lower. Bravado earned another silver medal at 16.33.
The other 2 scorer lower, tho still earning a silver and a bronze. Bravado Super Tuscan is proving to be legit and only getting better.

@Ajmassa5983 , go back and look at post #57 in this thread, good for a chuckle.

My Bravado, started in Fall ‘16, is on the bench to be bottled, labels and capsules already on hand. This kit (last one I made) was fermented with the skins from my Lanza Merlot and Petiit Sirah, theses skins produced over 12 gallons of wine. Fermented with BM 4x4, barrel aged 6 months in a neutral barrel with French Stix. I’ll let you know how it’s faring when it gets bottled, Wifey liked it at last tasting.

Good to hear. Made mine in July 16’ as soon as it arrived and the last tasting in Feb seemed like it was coming around. I honestly nearly grabbed one an hour ago!

This my WOW Wine.... every one that has tasted it, loves it. Need to make the next batch to keep it in rotation.

Well finally cracked one for the first time in about 6 months and I was really impressed. Probably the best kit I have made and that includes most of the WE Eclipse line.

Best part is I still have 27 bottles left!

Only six bottles of my 2016 left. Should have waited longer but it's so hard... I have some Zin/Shiraz that's good now; maybe I'll be able to hold off on those last six bottles.

Only six bottles of my 2016 left. Should have waited longer but it's so hard... I have some Zin/Shiraz that's good now; maybe I'll be able to hold off on those last six bottles.
I know the feeling, lol My Grenache/Syrah Blend has been fermenting for 7 days and it still has a inch of foam and is actively fermenting. I think its going to go 100% dry in the Fermentor. I cant wait to age it and whatnot and get it into the bottle and try a bit. Wine making while easier than beer making takes a lot more patience.

The Bravado, which started around Thanksgiving 2016, and bottled a few months ago, turns two this fall. Still have 30 bottles, might give one a shot for its 2 year bday or so. Maybe even send one to @Ajmassa5983 in our fall bottle swap......................nah, nevermind.

Latest posts

Back