RJ Spagnols Winery Series Kits on Sale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Just got onto FVW and pulled the trigger on the Amarone. I'll be anxious to see how it compares to the En Primeur Amarone I did about 2 years ago. That one is still mellowing. I was tempted to get another Super Tuscan, but I just bottled one about a month ago.

Trying to decide which one to get, have made (2) super tuscans (my favorite so far) and a cab from the winery series. I have been leaning towards the rosso grande since it seems like it's close to the super tuscan.
i would like to venture outside of the cabs, pinots, merlots, etc..

George at FVW will take your order at the sale price and then ship when it arrives. If that is what you want, place the order with confidence. Also, he doesn't charge your card until the order ships - EVER!

Yes, and he seems to get shipments on a very regular basis, so I don't imagine you'd be waiting long.

For whatever reason, kits that were Amarone are now called Amorosso. This is true of Mosti and other kits. So the varietal is the same.

The quality would be different, presumably. Does the WE one have a grape pack?

For whatever reason, kits that were Amarone are now called Amorosso. This is true of Mosti and other kits. So the varietal is the same.

Brand protection. Certain names are protected and there's been a crack down on kit producers. Valpolicella is now, Valpola. Chateauneuf du Pape is Chateau du Pays, etc. For some reason, the Spagnols WS kit is still called 'Amarone'. At least on the FineVineWines site.

The quality would be different, presumably. Does the WE one have a grape pack?

I don't think the quality is any different. Just the name.
WE? Did you mean WS? Yes, the Winery Series Amarone has a grape pack.

FedEx dropped the Amarone off this morning. It came with EC-1118, which I will replace with BM4X4. Interestingly, the only oak in the kit was 50g of chips for primary. I'm definitely doing more oak than that. I will definitely add tannin, though I haven't decided what/when yet. And I'm playing with the idea of raisins in secondary.

And a first for me: this kit has a packet of pectinase, which it says should be used in secondary.

Got this kicked off yesterday. Turns out there was a 375g pack of raisins under the juice bag. Those will go into secondary.

Last edited:
FedEx dropped the Amarone off this morning. It came with EC-1118, which I will replace with BM4X4. Interestingly, the only oak in the kit was 50g of chips for primary. I'm definitely doing more oak than that. I will definitely add tannin, though I haven't decided what/when yet. And I'm playing with the idea of raisins in secondary.

And a first for me: this kit has a packet of pectinase, which it says should be used in secondary.

My Meglioli Amarone had both grapes and raisins. I added both to primary with 1 TBL oak powder. Added 1 TBL tannin during bulk aging, along with an extra spiral of medium toast plus. I have not tasted this yet, but anticipate it will be good. The only thing I considered doing differently would be the raisins, when to add them.

Got this kicked off yesterday. Turns out there was a 375g pack of grapes under the juice bag. Those will go into secondary.

Jim,

Is it grapes? Dried grape skins, or a jammy grape pack?

Share your thoughts with me, why would you wait to put the grapes in when fermentation is nearly complete, as opposed to it the beginning?

Jim,

Is it grapes? Dried grape skins, or a jammy grape pack?

Share your thoughts with me, why would you wait to put the grapes in when fermentation is nearly complete, as opposed to it the beginning?

I had grapes on the brain, sorry. I meant raisins. 375g of raisins. Those will go into secondary.

The kit also has a 2.5kg grape pack - jammy, crushed grapes. Those went into primary, as usual.

Trying to decide which one to get, have made (2) super tuscans (my favorite so far) and a cab from the winery series. I have been leaning towards the rosso grande since it seems like it's close to the super tuscan.
i would like to venture outside of the cabs, pinots, merlots, etc..

The WS Rosso Grande Eccelente is awesome. At least as good as the Super Tuscan.

Latest posts

Back