Winemaking Newbie Here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Robusto

Reaction score
Hi all!

My wife and i really enjoy wine and have deceided to take it to the next step and try to make our own.

Currently we are investigating starting equipment and kits with the plan to try and make at least two kit wines before we go to Paso Robles to pick 200lbs of Zinfandel grapes and start from scratch.

We look forward to learning and hopefully meeting all here.

Welcome Mr Robusto.. I would highly recommend you give george a call and let him help you get set up with a good equipment kit

Thats quite a big jump. I personally would get some more batches under
your belt. Before buying your starter equipment, consider what youre
going need for that next step. I would hate for you to spend a bunch of
money on something your only going to use twice.

I think you may have mis-understood me. I dont have anything yet. I want to getg a couple of "kit" batches prior the fall.

I will be using a friends crusher and will come home form the harvest with about 13-15 gallons of must. From there i hope the process to be somewhat similar to the kit batches i will have made.

I'm with Waldo here. Give George a call- he is really an actual person! He can guide you to the right starter kit and will ask some questions and give a recommendation for a good couple kits to start. Get the basics down and the transition to juice will not be so bad. You could even try an all-juice kit so it would be closer to the real thing.

Welcome and good luck. Have fun along the way and get to know a few friendly folks here- and maybe a slightly eccentric one here and there.

That sounds better. How many gallons of wine does your friend make a year?

Welcome Mr Robusto...glad to have you here....You should be able to help us with questions too as you are from wine country.

My husband is from San Jose, he has to say he doesn't miss it, but enjoyed it while he was there.....the traffic got to him.

wade said:
That sounds better. How many gallons of wine does your friend make a year?

Not too much. He grows on about 2/3rds of an acre. I believe last year he made about 1 barrel of Zinfandel, and about a 1/2 barrel of merlot.

He grows Zinfandel, Merlot, Grenache and Mouvedre.

Sounds like a senerio of what I would want when I finish working on my house and actualyy learn how to possess a green thumb!
smiley36.gif

Welcome Mr. Robusto to a forum that is friendly and very supportive. You can get all your questions answered and learn alot from here. As mentioned earlier give George a call at The Toy Store and he can direct you in what equipment you will need as you move forward without having alot of non needed equipment.

After you get the basics from doing the kits then you should have a good foundation for moving to what you have planned. It will be interesting to have you share your experiences as you progress so that others can learn. I just found a winemakers club here in my town and members there grow/sell grapes such as Chardonnay and will be interested in learning the required steps beyond opening a kit and pour.

Back