Winemaker Magazine Conference

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the award ceremony ends at 10 Cali time which is 1 Am EST time.. I hope they post the results quickly lol.

Looks like I managed a bronze for my viognier, which frankly I thought was the worst wine I sent. Really expected something for the mead, so I'm a bit surprised. Guess I'll need to wait for score sheets!

Congrats Chris. And dont feel bad feel bad Seth, aparently the judges didnt like my Amarone as much as I do or as much as the judges in Pittsburgh did. But I did get a silver for my Ice Wine. That should be good for a free kit from WE. Yippee.

Yeah, thanks for that. I think I will enter it into another competition in a few months and see if it fairs any better there. I just hope the score card has some details..... BTW does anyone know how they send those out?

Seth I refuse to send bottles anymore to competitions that cost that much. I don't believe the judges are any better and a win is a win. Remember is is very subjective unless your wine has obvious flaws like some do. You can't believe what I have seen.

The Indy at Purdue is next and is extremely well run. Time to enter is now. Search Indy International Wine Competition. They provide excellent judges notes IMHO. The WMM notes and awards will come by mail in a few weeks. Actually the notes are less helpful than you might hope. They really cant analize your wine just give a quick opinion.

Trail and error

IT'S all subjective ,not personnel, at least that's what you have to keep in your mind and keep moving forward in your thinking, never give up..................................THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX..:br

The Indy at Purdue is next and is extremely well run. Time to enter is now. Search Indy International Wine Competition. They provide excellent judges notes IMHO. The WMM notes and awards will come by mail in a few weeks. Actually the notes are less helpful than you might hope. They really cant analize your wine just give a quick opinion.

I've been wanting to enter this one but once again $30 an entry. Of the two I would enter this before WMM I think. Heck I haven't even sent any to Bacchus (Joe) yet and he doesn't even charge anything.

Seth, dont call it a port, call it a dessert wine. Some years you send what you think is really good and it gets nothing, some years you send in a wild card and it goes all the way. I think that guy from Walnut creek has figured out exactly what the WMM judges want. I like my wines to much to change them for some judges. Yours on the other hand need some more work :):) WVMJ

Along with what WVMJ said, I took best of show for a wine out in LA that didn't even place in another competition. That was me deciding factor of no longer entering expensive competitions. I can make 6 gallons of wine for the cost of 1-2 entries in some competitions.

WVMJ, you are right I probobly should of entered it under a different category I also think you are right about that fella from wallnut creak rofl.

Wolf, That is something worth thinking on. I will not enter any more competitions unless I know that they will give me some really good feedback.

joeswine, You hit that right on the nail It is all about who is judging the wine and what they think they should be tasting. I plan on making 36 more gallons if wine this fall so I am hoping to be able to submit this to some more varied judgings and really work on my wine making.

tony, thanks for the info I will give that competition a looking at. I am not be able to enter though because my wine is not with me at the moment since I have temporarly moved out of the state for some summer work.

Yeah just to mirror what they've all said... I help out at the occasional festival, etc. for a local winery, and so get to talk to them about these things. They took a double gold at one competition for a dry red that didn't even medal at another competition. So it's the same deal even outside of the amateur competitions. All subjective.

Think about it!

Think about it ,here you are going to enter a wine contest the first thing I like to do is get some background one the one on the wine taster's themselves if that is possible , or at the very least see if I can get some final judging. Example; what were the top wines that WON ,will categories within, how many different type the categories were in the wine contest over all .them I do is. I look at the history and I say to myself, well mostly in this particular contest there are heavy red wine entries and whites but not a whole lot of fruits or ports. Then I look at what I have and maximize my strength and minimize my weakness I am not going to go into a group of Reds when that is all he seems like . So why not in the other direction fruit wines blended wines
blended fruit and white or red wines and fruit or just plain fruit, get my drift. If you are wines are really strong and you as a winemaker have to acknowledge this them. Why waste your time and effort for just feed back you can get that here on line to swap somebody asked for the truth.

So when I went to the last contest here in Hampton I investigated the winners before, strong on red wines all types , all styles strong ,from entering this contest before I know I won first place with my raspberry ,I won first place with my frescati, both of these are judges choice, the raspberry was also the peoples choice . So that became a 2/4 so I skipped two years and entered it in the white ,the red, fruit, and that and a category called port, as they referred to it as port sweet wines ........................ Took it all
this contest only was $40.for .buffet,. Ad as many bottles as I .wanted to enter,. S maybe what I am getting a. Sable to the contest when and o. Se wit. Yur strengt. Ad weaknesses ar. A far as winemakin. Cmpare tha. T the winners that they have ha. Ad styles of wines that won .the more selectiv. and what you sen

Latest posts

Back