Winemaker Mag Top 100 Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I'm wondering if anyone has the scoop on the Winemaker Mag Top 100 Kit contest from the last issue. There was only 1 Mosti Modiale kit that made the top 100. The Rennaissance Amarone placed 54th among all wine kits. I have only made 2 Mosti kits but they were both pretty good. I made an All Juice Shiraz that drew praise from friends and a Vinifera Noble Zin Blush kit that my wife loved. I just find it hard to believe that 4 Vintner's Reserve kits made the list but only 1 Mosti kit made it. There has to be some explanation and I know a lot of people on this particular forum are big into the Mosti kits. Can anyone help me out?

Although Mosti is finally gaining its much deserved recognition its still not well known enough and lots of people that make them are just not willing to give them out.
smiley4.gif

This is a recurring theme every year that list comes out. It is definitely hard to believe the list. I think that the list can be influenced pretty easily by just a few medals. Why? Well, Mosti only had a few wines win medals even though we all know they are very good. I took the one Gold Medal Mosti got with the Rennaissance Amarone. That took it to 54th position. Can you imagine if it had received three golds? It may have been first!

All I can say is, keep making Mosti kits if you find them good, regardless of kit standings! If enough of us enjoy them and can part with some for the contest, then they will need to improve Mosti's standing.

I am curious about this as well. According to the article, the top 100 ranking "is based on the average scores given by judges of the top performing kit entries this year." I'm not sure what the "top performing kit entries" means--perhaps that only kits winning medals or even golds qualify for the list, or perhaps it has no significance. However, since the list is based on the average score, a specific kit entered by a single entrant should have as much chance to be on the list as a specific kit entered by 50 entrants. If quantity of entries matters, then the score would have to be based on some type of cumulative number.
smiley5.gif

I am also surprised not to see more Mosti kits since I have read so many good things about them on the forum, though I have not yet personally made one. (Have a Meglioli waiting for me.)
smiley4.gif

Perhaps you put it best, Appleman-- it's hard to believe the list. At least, I personally am skeptical until I know more about the ranking system. Regardless, I appreciate the effort and intent of the article.

Folks:

First, somebody has to make the kit. Then that somebody has to submit a bottle (and pay the fee) to the contest.

There are a lot of people (like me) who can't be bothered to give up a bottle of their wine, and go thru the hassle of submitting the bottle.

Some retailers/manufacturers assist in the submission, but I'd still have to give up a bottle.

So how many folks from here actuallysubmitted a bottle of kit wine? Probably very few.

Steve

I know many did, not me because that would require me to pay to give up a bottle for a chance at a medal I don't care about because its based on someones taste buds on that particular day. For those that do I applaud them.
Appleman, that particular wine should have won tons of golds because it is a terrific kit and a great value for your money!
VC

This kind of list would correlate to the concept of The Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines list, in which a $24 wine was the number one pick this year. That list seems to be more of a political boost to wine prices for whichever wines are in the top 10 as opposed to a true analysis of the 'best' wines. As Steve notes two posts up from this one, we must wonder if this is really a true sample and I'm with Steve in firmly believing that it's not possible. The best way to figure out what the best kits/wines are is to try them - swap with other winemakers and find out what you like and what you don't. No list can tell you that.

- Jim

All of these are good points. I know that the entry fees are a little high along with having to give away some of your wine. Congrats to appleman for his gold medal. I have enjoyed the few Mosti kits that I have made just as well as any of the Winexpert kits. I guess a better way to say it would have been "The top 100 kit wines submitted for the 2009Winemaker Mag kit wine competition" but I get the idea. Apparently the list will vary greatly from year to year depending on the entries, quantities, and winemakers skill.

JimCook said:
This kind of list would correlate to the concept of The Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines list, in which a $24 wine was the number one pick this year.  That list seems to be more of a political boost to wine prices for whichever wines are in the top 10 as opposed to a true analysis of the 'best' wines.  As Steve notes two posts up from this one, we must wonder if this is really a true sample and I'm with Steve in firmly believing that it's not possible.  The best way to figure out what the best kits/wines are is to try them - swap with other winemakers and find out what you like and what you don't.  No list can tell you that. 

- Jim

Here here! I like your testing methodology!

Milwood said:
"The top 100 kit wines submitted for the 2009Winemaker Mag kit wine competition" but I get the idea.
That is exactly what the list is. BTW, this discussion seems to happen (on one forum or another) every year.

It's nice to see what kits did well, as it may give us ideas about what to make in the future. But it should be one piece of your decision making not the whole thing.

Until a couple of years ago, Winexpert did very well in these awards. But they changed the rules, and Tim V was not allowed to submit wine anymore. It was interesting at that time, to read the list of names because there were names that I recognized from each kit company, not just Tim. Now none of them can submit entries.

Steve

Latest posts

Back