Wine Kit Manufactures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
Recently reading wine makers magazine, top 100 kits, I was surprised how many of the top spots went to other manufactures than Winexpert. Many went to RJS while most WE kits were not nearly as favorable. Can anyone who has made reds from both manufactures, comment on which they feel is better and why? I've only made kits from WE and am interested in going off the reservation, if the quality is really superior. Looking for opinions.

Thx

Recently reading wine makers magazine, top 100 kits, I was surprised how many of the top spots went to other manufactures than Winexpert. Many went to RJS while most WE kits were not nearly as favorable. Can anyone who has made reds from both manufactures, comment on which they feel is better and why? I've only made kits from WE and am interested in going off the reservation, if the quality is really superior. Looking for opinions.

Thx

I wouldn't put much value in a magazine, at all, as in mostly none. Do some searching through these forums and you'll find plenty of people who make kits from many different manufacturers and they'll usually list their favorites from each. You'll also find many people who only make one manufacturer's kits, and they usually do so because they source locally, or it's the only brand their favorite online retailer carries.

I would really enjoy a head to head, made only by instructions, comparison after two years of aging. But that's not how it's done. The competition is for anyone who wants to apply using any kits or tweaks they wish. Can't really use the results to compare one manufacturer to another.

Looking back through my notes: CC Showcase tends to be really good, but expensive, WE Eclipse is usually good, but almost as expensive, RJ's WS is consistently as good or better than both, yet slightly cheaper, which may explain why they're receiving favorable reviews. Looking forward to the long term results of M.M. If they're as good or better than all of the above, I'll buy nothing else from there on out, due to the simplicity of a 23L pure juice kit, plus the monster sized skin pack that rivals the size of the juice pack in most low end kits.

Looking back through my notes: CC Showcase tends to be really good, but expensive, WE Eclipse is usually good, but almost as expensive, RJ's WS is consistently as good or better than both, yet slightly cheaper, which may explain why they're receiving favorable reviews. Looking forward to the long term results of M.M. If they're as good or better than all of the above, I'll buy nothing else from there on out, due to the simplicity of a 23L pure juice kit, plus the monster sized skin pack that rivals the size of the juice pack in most low end kits.

Brian:
I am also of the same mindset, I started doing the 23L Juice MM's last fall, have several in bulk aging and two more of the new Meglioli's on the way, the OVZ and Shiraz. It'll be a while before the results reveal themselves, but I'm hopeful. Should be getting some of these into barrels in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back