Wine Racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedvine

Tony (Twisted Vine)
Reaction score
Does anyone have a decent set up with directions on making a nice wine bottle rack. I purchased some from a local store many years ago, however they were pricey. I am having a hard time finding any plans or directions on the web anywhere.

Any help is always greatly appreciated. I would prefer to use wood

Wade gave me good advice last year when I made mine, you do not need to over kill it like you think, I built mine out of cedar using 1x2 for the cross braces and ripped 2x4 down to 2x2 for the up rights, I think I have an up right ever 3 feet. I later went back and put dowl caps in between each bottle to keep them stable. I also have 1x1 slats every 3 bottles,

Wade gave me good advice last year when I made mine, you do not need to over kill it like you think, I built mine out of cedar using 1x2 for the cross braces and ripped 2x4 down to 2x2 for the up rights, I think I have an up right ever 3 feet. I later went back and put dowl caps in between each bottle to keep them stable. I also have 1x1 slats every 3 bottles,

Rob, sounds like a great idea. Are you able to post any pics of your racks (no pun intended)

I have always wanted post pic, if someone would chime in and show me how. please type slow so I have time to write it down:d

If you're looking for strong and economical, you can make my "Skid Row Wine Rack". It's made from pallets, goes up in a snap, and is strong. If you have a rustic storage area, it fits in just fine.

palletwineracks.jpg

Here's the article that was published in Winemaker Magazine if you're interested.

winemakerarticle50.jpg

twistedvine go to my (rob) profile and click my pics and you can see

Neat "Skid Row"

I would think its tilted up in the front so bottles dont roll out.

It may take some effort on your part. If yu really like the rack you bought, you could dissasemble it and copy it. Build a new one from the copied parts of the old one.
Reverse engineering Woo Hooo!

Rob. go to Post reply and scroll down a little to where it says manage attatchments and click on that. Once you do there will be a menu that pops up where you can click browse and search for the file in your computer. Once you find it click on it and then right to the right of that click on Upload and then you can close that and it will be inserted into your post when you finally click to post it.

twisted, somewhere on here is a bunch of pics of my racks with a tape measuer against it in every shot so as to get a good idea what to cut everything, I had them all in my comp but lost that hard drive a few months ago.

Does anyone have a decent set up with directions on making a nice wine bottle rack. I purchased some from a local store many years ago, however they were pricey. I am having a hard time finding any plans or directions on the web anywhere.

Any help is always greatly appreciated. I would prefer to use wood

Have you checked the local library? I've often seen plans in woodworking project books and magazines.

My wife used to have a florist/gift shop which we sold some years ago. One item of the business property which I held on to was a 6' wide glass-front display cooler -- made it into a nice "wine cellar" by simply building stackable racks that sat inside the case. Unfortunately, last year the compressor died and the cost to repair was more than the unit was worth so I junked the case; however, I kept the racks, thinking that someday I would somehow reuse them. A couple of months ago, I needed more rack space in my winemaking shop, so I did some rough cutting/fitting and recycled those seperate racks into a single free-standing unit that will hold 70(+) bottles. Since it was intended only for the workshop, I didn't spend a lot of time on sanding, assembled the whole thing with decking screws, and didn't even consider any sort of finish.

Last month I was gone for a few days on a motorcycle road trip with a few friends. When I got home, I was quite surprised to find my recycled (and rustic) wine rack sanded, stained, varnished and sitting in the utility room. My wife decided that it "had character" and would look better in the house than in my shop(!)

I pointed out to her that I still need more storage in the shop and would be quite happy to build a really nice winerack for the house if I could move the rustic one back out there, so I'm also considering designs...

I think Wade has one of the easiest and nicest looking racks to build. If I was going to do it again thats probably the way I would go. For the budget Lon has it hands down. I built mine doing what Doug said going o that site and using their specs. Its a little more difficult but a little bit fancier also. You will need a table saw with a dado blade for the ones I built. Check the site out as they have many different styles.

Anyone have an idea where i could purchase this "steel wall grid stuff"?
I have an idea.
bilde

I bet you could find that at HD or Lowes in the garden tools section. The adaptors in the picture look a lot like the ones i got from HD.

Back