Wine pump and degasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I just racked and degassed FIVE batches of wine with the new aspirator. You are right - this thing rocks.
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
I think I'm going to try bottling this weekend too. Bwah-ha-haaaa...
smiley17.gif

That looks like what some of the guys use. 15 inches of vacuum doesn't seem like quite enough, he might be wrong about that. Most of them go to around 22. The price is good but closes soon so I figured I better respond now even though I use a different brand.

Wild Duck,Looks just like mine but I also got the glass reservoir for it for $25 ($40 for complete unit including shipping). Goes to 22-25in with no problem and will stay there easily for 30-45 mins.

That looks like the model my friend has and his goes up to 22' and works well.

Yes, the 130 is the model a lot of us have. It will go to 25 in vacuum with no problem. He might not know how to adjust the regulator.

Just ordered a different modelfrom ebay yesterday, auto bottle filler from George today. I viewed wade's tutorial several times but do I need any additional fittings or just wait and see what connections are on the pump when I get it next week? Any ideawhere can I get a canister? The unit I purchased did not come with one.

Just received my pump today. It seems fine looks good, 1/5 hp, 3.5 amps. Problem is it only pulls around 17-17.5. Is that enough for degassing? When I shut the pump off it will very slowly start to leak down. Could this be an air leak around one of the fittings? Could break it down and Teflon tape theregulator and fittings. Any thoughts?
S

With mine I have to crank it all the way up for it to hold a vacuum. As far as vacuum goes thats right where I like mine so IMO it perfect.

You have a leak somewhere in it. Try using the teflon and see how that helps. You can still work alright with that vacuum anyways if that is all it will pull. I rarely use more than 15 inches- and only then for degassing.

Thanks Wade...
I will give it a go tomorrow. Got my bottle filler from George today, I think I am set. You be interested in tasting a Lodi CA All grape Cab thats really young and giving me your 2 cents on where to go with it, if anything but age. Could send you a 375ml.

S

This is awesome!!! Set up the pump yesterday using water. Racking was a breeze. Like Wade and his back, I had Back Surgery 18 months ago and I am now done buying Better Bottles and lifting even those 5 gallon carboys!
I then went to using the Auto Filler. That was a little more challenging. Once I went back and read the instructions on how to adjust the fill level, which I was doing with the screw,(NOT), PERFECT every time. Still a little much in the the overflow but I will play with that today.
Many thanks to all of you that posted experiences and Wade for your tutorial. My Wife thanks you as well, because now she does not have to sit on the floor in the Kitchen and try for Min's at a time to fill a punted bottle with a filler wand!

I hear ya with those high punted bottles!!! I never had the surgery cause Ive just heard to many bad stories about them and only 1 or 2 better ones. Im glad you like it, it makes racking and bottling a breeze!

Latest posts

Back