Wine Making Clubs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Hello all. Was wondering if anyone here is a member of a local wine making club? More important, has anyone ever worked at organizing one? I am looking into organizing one here local in the Baton Rouge area and would appreciate any insight as towhat steps one might take or suggestions to get this off the ground.

thanks as always

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Give me a call at the store tomorrow and I will give you the names of some presidents of other clubs. By the way, would you like the Toy Store to sponsor your club?

George, sorry I didn't see this message until after business hours. I would be honored to have you as a sponsor if I can get this up and running.

Steve

Smurfe, sorry to bring up such an old thread, but did you ever get your wine club started? If yes, I need some tips. If no, would you mind sharing the roadblocks?

Thanks.

Yes I have a wine club. Started with 3 now we get 25+ at a monthly meeting and won many awards in competitions. The Club Ihave has no charter or officers though.

All you need are people who want to make better wines. We have brand new to small vineyard owners (150 vines)

Thanks for the reply Tepe. Tell me how you got started. What is your routine each month when you meet? Do you change location with each meeting or is it in the same place? I suppose I have a thousand questions. At this point, I don't know what I don't know. Tips from everyone are welcome. Thanks!

I would love to be part of something like that, but we are pretty remote. If anyone in my area is intrested, by all means, contact me. As a matter of fact, could we start some sort of sign up on the forum, for folks from the same area?

admiral said:
Smurfe, sorry to bring up such an old thread, but did you ever get your wine club started? If yes, I need some tips. If no, would you mind sharing the roadblocks?

Thanks.

No, I never got it off the ground. Biggest roadblock I can think of was simply lack of interest. I had one person interested who lived probably 100+ miles from me. I never did continue to pursue.

admiral
The thing is to have some members that "know what they are doing" The rest is learning for all. Joeswine and myself are still learning..
Its important to have a TOPIC at each meeting. This usually can last for 1/2 of the meeting (the other 1/2 is drinking and eating). Topics are easy to come by ( our next 3 are on Italy, France and Spain wines and climates.
If you have a local homebrew store advertise there. Thy a small ad in a local paper. My club have a monthly meeting usually 2nd or 3rd Sunday. We meet at a different members home each month (btw. the clubs meetings are already booked till December)
In the beginning we "taste" each others wines and we all bring some food. (better to drink on a filled stomach) If we have a problem wine we bring it and critique it as part of the meeting.
One thing we did in the beginning is we wrote a story about our wine club and sent it to WineMakers.. YES they printed it. This brought a few members.
Maybe the Mods here can start a "TOPIC" by states/countries. If this gets started it would help people who want to start a group/club.

Back