Fermenting Friends ~ wine clubs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, let me thank you for posting these pictures and story ..... I love this! What a great opportunity for vintners on all levels to get together and share stories plus drink some wine. Second, for the past few months I've wondered if anyone in my area was making wine or let me rephrase "serious about making wine like I am"? My goal by the end of this year is to start a local club of wine makers and lets see where it takes off from there. I might offer to help get someone started who has been on the edge.
I know that there are wine makers in your area. The question is how to connect with them. ,,, (My favorite store to visit and try unusual stuff as. BMB gasket or Inkbird is Great Fermentations in Indianapolis)
Have you tried putting out flyers/ bookmarks/ a poster at your closest store?

I know that there are wine makers in your area. The question is how to connect with them. ,,, (My favorite store to visit and try unusual stuff as. BMB gasket or Inkbird is Great Fermentations in Indianapolis)
Have you tried putting out flyers/ bookmarks/ a poster at your closest store?

We are 3+ hrs from Indy in the southern part of Indiana. I'm 30 min from Kentucky and 30 minutes from Illinois. We have a local wine club you can buy wines from around the country and taste but they do not offer wine making. Thought about joining the wine tasting club but not sure I like enough of those $30-40 bottles of wine to join. Actually, we have a couple liquor stores that offer tastings of hard liquor and wine on certain nights.

Our local wine making supplier is 40 min away and his kits & chemicals have been on the shelves for what I'm guessing is a long time. I want to support them but last year I tried to buy a carboy, and the bottom of all four they had were cracked. uggggg

I'll take your advice and put out some feelers to see if I can get any interest. I'll keep searching for an established local club too.

I may have to do that… unfortunately, right now I’m slammed at work and with projects around the homestead.

I think I’ll ask around at a few LHBS’s to see if I’m missing a group or if there might be interest. Perhaps this fall I could help start one.

And thanks for the offer David. I will take you up on that.
I am down in the Kankakee area. I am not sure how close you are. There are a number of "clubs" on the north side of chicago but it just doesn't fit my schedule. I have hosted some crush parties and pressing sessions to try and generate interest. I tend to have lots of interest but not a lot of commitment of folks that want to try winemaking themselves. This is a great community though, and has helped support my hobbie and hone my skill set!

I am down in the Kankakee area. I am not sure how close you are. There are a number of "clubs" on the north side of chicago but it just doesn't fit my schedule. I have hosted some crush parties and pressing sessions to try and generate interest. I tend to have lots of interest but not a lot of commitment of folks that want to try winemaking themselves. This is a great community though, and has helped support my hobbie and hone my skill set!
I’m about an hour north of Green Bay, so too far. The Fox Valley (Oshkosh to Green Bay) has a very large population and should have enough winemakers.

Fermented Friends (of LaCrosse Wi) did their end of summer party at Blufftop Winery Saturday. It was interesting to get my first impressions on Crimson Pearl and Verona wines and hear details about how the last Italy trip went/ what to expect in the 2024 Italy trip.
IMG_1917.jpeg
October switches back to programs on the second Wednesday of the month.

Fermented Friends (of LaCrosse Wi) did their end of summer party at Blufftop Winery Saturday. It was interesting to get my first impressions on Crimson Pearl and Verona wines and hear details about how the last Italy trip went/ what to expect in the 2024 Italy trip.
View attachment 105708
October switches back to programs on the second Wednesday of the month.

Man, you get around! Nice to see.

Well? , , , , Crimson Pearl & Verona
I felt that there should be more soft “grape skin“ tannin (astringent flavor notes). Petite Pearl is still my favorite northern hybrid grape. There were three examples of Petite Pearl there. The version BluffTop sells is sweeter than most but pretty well balanced. :).
Chuck, Of interest to you BluffTop has made a maple syrup & lemon summer wine, with a gravity of about 1.061, ,,, it did not have any of the burnt/ smokey notes that the sample I sent up to you has.

Central Wisconsin Amateur WineMakers Club from Marshfield was at the juice pick up today.
IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg
They have been meeting for fifty years. :). New friends :)
I also learn that Medford Wisconsin has Rib River Winemakers. ,,, but time for work, ,,, Prairie vinters provides Quality numbers
IMG_2041.jpeg
??? humm a dozen varieties of red California juice in, the gravity looks low this year and pH are running close to 3.7, ,,, humm. Every year is slightly different.

Last edited:
Lucky me @Rice_Guy is a member of the . . . . . . club in Milwaukee.
Missed you at the wine and food Paul.
For those that eat with their eyes a few exquisite photos from Wis Home Vinters;
IMG_2719.jpeg
Wild mushroom with Pinot
IMG_2720.jpeg
Crab with a sparkling from Washington (everything looks prettier if the plate is at 45’
IMG_2724.jpeg
Salmon with Riesling
IMG_2732.jpeg
Some of the membership at this years wine and food at the tech college
IMG_2727.jpegSousVide bison with pinot, most tender bison I have ever had
IMG_2734.jpeg
Blackberry with a petite Sirah port ——
and thanking the students in culinary arts
IMG_2735.jpeg
Wow!! ,, one of the annual treats I enjoy at Wisconsin Vinters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back