wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdsae60

Reaction score
It's saying I need a 7.5 gal primary to start and I have a 6 gal glass carboy. Will it foam or bubble over?

the primary is usually a bucket vs a carboy. the wine needs air exposure at the start. i do think it will most likely foam out of your carboy if it is a 23 liter kit. i would look for a bigger primary than 7.5 gal if you are buying

cheers

If you're talking about primary fermentation in short the answer is yes. You need to buy a fermenter.

It's saying I need a 7.5 gal primary to start and I have a 6 gal glass carboy. Will it foam or bubble over?
The attached picture (that I stole from a recent Facebook post) shows a one gallon batch. You should expect worse than that picture if you try to ferment a 6 US gallon kit in a 6 USG carboy.

Steve

11986348_900550140000147_4679883626565851708_n.jpg

You could get away with mixing 6 gallons in the carboy, sucking a gallon out and then add the yeast. Let that run for a week the add half of the gallon ( that you stored in a refrigerator) slowly and let that run until it slows. Add half of whats left and repeat until you finish up the gallon.

Its a lot of work, easier to get a bucket.

Tools in the tool box

One of the key tools in the tool box is a open fermenting bucket not that expensive and gives you excellent performance for any size kit you'll make or any other wine making experience you go in to ,good surface area for fermentation to happen and good working space to have it in.

18.jpg

18A.jpg

Last edited:
A 10 gallon Rubbermaid Brute (food grade plastic) trash can is an excellent choice for primary fermentation bucket. The extra space is nice to have when whipping skeeter pee or dragons blood.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back