Wine kit selection for 1st wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
I am totally new to wine making. Planning to purchase my first kit in a week or so. My wife and I prefer red over white. With that said, can anyone give advice on a good starter kit? My research shows that there is benefit in going for a higher quality kit. Is this the best path for a beginner?

welcome d.

i was you not so long ago … hope you are prepared to get sucked into the vortex!! but what a great place to be

i agree with going towards a higher quality kit … but i wouldnt go to premium to start. it's likely that as you learn on your first couple batches you will make minor mistakes that you would regret at the higher end.

my first batch was a wine expert vintners reserve shiraz … i didnt do anything except follow the instructions .. it's gotten rave reviews from everyone that has been blessed with a bottle! now 4 months after bottling its even better! highly recommend … it's in the $70 region if i remember correctly.

I went with the cheapest kit you could get. I guess it is a good thing I did as I lost alot during a racking accident. Lesson one. Had to top up a lot. about 20 percent was a cheap wine that I buy.

Turned out pretty good. I do agree with suecasa though. those WE vintners reserve are great kits to start with as you first wine will be dang good versus so so with a cheaper kit.

When I started out I decided to go with the higher end kit because I didn't want to make wine, be disappointed with it and get out of the hobby because it wasn't what I had expected. Since then I have tried a low end kit and am glad that I didn't start out that way. Personal preference I guess...

Get a minimum of a 15 or 16 ltr kit. Wine Expert International, Cellar Craft Showcase or RJ Spagnols winery. Skip the cheap. Follow instructions first time out. Good luck.

Welcome, dburling, to your new obsession (as they say)! Well, if you don't get obsessed with it, then you are stronger than the rest of us. You may as well set up a wine budget right off. You'll need lots more carboys...and a few more fermenters...and some additives...and some fruit...and wine yeast...and some more stuff---yet to be determined. ;)

I started out almost two years ago with a cheap kit. I wish I had started with a high ender---because it would be approaching awesome right about now! However, given that I wanted to drink my wine quickly, I would have wasted money on a more expensive kit. I have since found patience. I learned a lot from that first batch---and from the lovely people here! I now make a lot of cheap sweet wine for my wife (that's what she likes), and I get to keep the high-enders for myself.

I have made big kits, but also do smaller ones. Just bottled a Mezza Luna Red (was a 2012 Amateur Winemaking Gold) and will be making it again.

I was in your shoes not long ago. I picked a wine expert Island mist kit to do for my first wine. I do like both sweet and dry wines and the Mist kit looked like a decent summer beverage wine so I got the white cranberry pinot gris. The fact that the Island mist wines were on special as wine of the month helped the decision along. I was afraid I would make a mistake and didn't want to risk messing up a premium kit. I didn't mess it up it is bottled now and the few that have tried it like it.

I just started a vintiner's reserve Shiraz myself and I all ready made one mistake. I had it alll mixed in the fermentor yeast pitched and sealed when I seen the bag of oak chips I was to put in. so I opened it again and mixed it in and it does not seem to have caused any harm so far it has taken off frementing like mad.

Last edited:
I started a year ago and have done a wide range of kits and two homemade batches (jury's still out on those). There is a big difference between the higher and lower end kits on flavor but the processing steps are basically the same.

Bottled:
Symphony
Pinot Noir X 2
Pinot Gris
Trinity Red
White Merlot
Pinot Grigio
Chilean Malbec
Coastal White
Savinon Blanc
Coastal Red
French Chardonnay
homemade Mango Ground Cherry
homemade Ground Cherry
Chardonnay and last but not least Cabernet Shiraz

On the shelf are:
New Zealand Marlborough Sauvinon Blanc
Skeeter Pee
Italian Sangiovese
Pina Colada
and
Vinfandel

Welcome to the obsession! It's a great hobby!

I received shipment of the WineXpert Selection Original Merlot today. Will start the process tomorrow. Has anyone made this kit? Results?

Thanks for all of your input!

Back