Wine Kit delivered and leaking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hi folks - I just received a WinExpert Cabernet kit, and when I opened the box, the oak chips bag was soaked with juice, and there is juice elsewhere as well, everything is sticky with juice, but the cap is still on the juice. I called the company and sent pictures and they are refunding me my money but don't want the kit back because they have to pay to ship it and also they can't resell it. My question is, should I dump it or try to ferment it and see what goes? This kit was shipped and the UPS driver said it was 160 degrees in the warehouse and 140 degrees in the back of his truck. What would YOU do?

Thanks as always!

I would say its worth a try to ferment it. I have had two kits that arrived leaking and they turned out good - though it was winter time. Worst thing that can happen is you dump it out later instead of now!

Josh

Thanks!!!

I would say its worth a try to ferment it. I have had two kits that arrived leaking and they turned out good - though it was winter time. Worst thing that can happen is you dump it out later instead of now!

Josh

Doesn't look like it lost more than a few ounces, but it is a real mess. The oak chips are in plastic and fine, but the oak powder is ruined. I have oak essence and an extra bag of oak powder I can use. I was more concerned with the high temperature this was delivered at. Probably caused the juice to force itself out of the cap but maybe worth a try...

I had a similar experience. Some kits are double bagged. I'd put the bag in the tub to rinse it off and see where the leak was and found that out. No damage to the inner bag. For some reason wine had gotten into the outer bag (during filling?).

Last edited:
I agree too! You have nothing to loose!! I would just add water in stages and stop when you get to the expected SG. Since you have less concentrate, you will need less water.

Thanks to all for the info - I did start this up last night and already into a nice strong fermentation. Should be a great Cab!

Latest posts

Back