What would you do??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutstix

Reaction score
Hello Everybody!
I have a quick question for you all. I bought a Cellar Craft Showcase Chateau Du Pays (not the LE) today, and when I got home I noticed that the grape pack had leaked. There was a sticky mess inside along with some large green mold chunks (in cardboard box between bags, not in juice or grape bags). I called my LHBS, and asked them what I should do- I am two hours away. They said they would refund my money, and I could do what I wanted with the kit. I said I would rather give it a go, and would I have any warranty with CC? He informed me that he didn't want the kit back, and surely I could try it, but he would throw it away. Well I cleaned all the bags off, and it seems that the grape pack has a small leak- if I squeeze it I get a tiny bit of juice out (drops). The funny thing is a lot of what had leaked appeared to be grapes (almost like they did a sloppy job when filling the bags, spilling on the outside). Now that I have everything rinsed off- it is soo hard to throw it away. What would you do? What risks are there in giving it a go? Should I be worried about other wines in primary next to it? A little help!!

Mike

i had the same thing happen to a lambrusco kit i ordered from a wine shop in florida (i live in wisconsin). they basically told me the same thing as far as giving my money back etc so i figured what the hey and gave it a try. i have it in bottles now aging so i dont know how well it turned out but when tasting it before bottling it seemed to be alright, no alternative flavors etc.

Step 1) Smell it. Does it pass the smell test? If so then got to Step 2. If not Stop!

Step 2) Does it pass the taste test (must and grape pack) If yes then go to Step 3. If not Stop!

Step 3) Pitch the yeast!

Quick update:
-Both grape pack and juice pack passed the smell test.
-Both grape pack and juice pack passed taste test.
-Kit has been happily fermenting for the last 36 hours.
Thank you both, ibglowin and rcflyer for the thoughts!
Mike

Never throw it away without trying to see if its salvageable at least as a smaller quantity. There have been so many of these leaker kits over the years that Ive been on forums and all of them have made excellent wines, I do not recall any of them not working out ever.

I had a leaker (grape pack) in my CC LR Old Vines Mencia. Its just about ready to come out of the Vadai and it is awesome!

Latest posts

Back