Wine kit bag.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freqflyer

Reaction score
Is there any problem in cleaning and sanitizing the bags the juice from wine kits come in and then using them for bulk aging or even bottling wine?

Very interesting idea,flyer.

I will say that there probably is some oxygen permeability in the bags. One of my best friends was in charge of a low volume parenterals unit for a medical supplies company (think IV bags), and he spent considerable time and effort sourcing plastic materials for their production line that had low permeability.

Obviously you would be limited by the volume of the bag, but I think the idea has some merit. You could just store in the original box for stacking and protection.

How are you thinking you'd use it for bottling? attach a filler hose to the bag somehow, or perhaps to the cap?

I'm not sure, but that could be worked out pretty easily. I've seen the wine in a box at the store and it's a different looking bag. However, the wine kit bags are definitely more substantial.

I doubt the wine kit bags have any oxygen permeability. Otherwise, it would ruin the grape juice. The question I have is whether the bag would be damaged by the alcohol. That is the new factor.

For bottling, a small siphon fits nicely into the hole.

I have tried this with some lower end wines, following the same logic you have all mentioned. I won't ever do it again. For whatever reason, after about 2 months the wine began oxidizing and really started to fade fast. It might work for a Dragon Blood or some other wine you plan to drink in the next couple months. I will never put a good wine in one for aging. Learned from my mistake.

Latest posts

Back