Wine Kit - As a base

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyPhil

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used wine kits as a base. Many of the Jack Keller call for adding grape concentrate our raisins. Can I use the juice from the kit instead? Has anyone tried this? It just seems making peach wine for example would be better with Pinot Grigio juice vs 1 lb of raisins or welches white grape juice. If you can do this can you freeze the remaining juice for topping and additional future batches?

It should work, but it seems the expensive way. I would follow the white grape concentrate method. for one that concentrate is fairly neutral in flavor and not change the taste profile of the wine. Peach wine is pretty delicate pinot grigio would take over the flavor.

The problem with white grape is that it is not neutral it comes out very grapey and not in a good way it tastes much like lambrussco and is too forward. Pinot G may be too forward to but for say a sauv. Blanc may not be

In the Strawberry Coastal White Contest, we all used a kit for the base of our wines, and I was very pleased with the outcome of mine---and the others I got to try. I purchased four of the kits at that time (they were BOGO), and also made a mango (came out wonderful!), and an apple cinnamon (still tweaking that one).

Mind me asking what grape type you used? Where do you get BOGO wine kits thats a good deal!

I've been wondering about this too. One of the LHB stores carries 'bulk' wine: just the bladder of juice and a ziplock of the additives. $35.

Seems to me like it might not be a bad investment for some experimenting. Not sure I would drink the stuff as a regular wine, but to bulk up/compliment some fruit? Why not?

Someone came on here with a link for the BOGO sale just that once. The kits were a "blend" of white grapes from the California coast, called a Coastal White. I have no idea what was in there.

Back