Blending tannin and acid after primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alurpal

Junior
Reaction score
What process is best for adding tannin and acid to a wine after primary?

I want to do it systematically so I can taste various ratios and decide on an optimal recipe for next time (I don’t use grapes/ grape juice so the starting point of the base when is less variable).

I’m thinking taking some base wine and adding “too much” tannin to that, then same with acid and then blend those concentrations back into the base. Is that a sound strategy?

You could divide the batch into several smaller carboys and add different amount of oak chips or cubes. You also need to consider the timing. My practice is to use a small amount of oak and leave it in for a month (or longer) until the tannins and flavors are completely depleted from the cubes or chips.

Oak adds tannin, but also a lot more. I like oak in most dark colored berry wines, as well as in pear wine.

A good wine, in addition to fruit flavors and good body, requires a balance between:
* acidity
* sweetness
* tannins

There are several variables, so there a many possible combinations. A higher acid or tannin wine will taste good with some backsweetening.

I don't think that you can find the ideal tannin, acid, and sweetness values independently. But you could set one variable, e.g. acid, and try different tannin levels with that amount of acid. They you need to try different levels of sweetness. That's why wine making is an art!

Your idea of overdoing will work. Note that tannin balance will change over a year and there are different tannins intended for finishing and after racking out of the primary.

Have you looked at the Scott Labs tannin kit? and the instructions for testing various tannins? Do you know which tannin you want to use?

Latest posts

Back