Wine Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reds are at 1.00 and Whites are at 1.030 or there abouts. Going to oak the Cab Franc with French Medium Oak beans after transfer to secondary. Chianti will be oaked with the same. We're not real crazy about a heavy oak taste so will go on the light side for now. The package says that 3 oz of the beans for 2 months is good for 5-6 gallons for a fresh barrel taste. Probably going to start with half that and taste along the way.

Any suggestions or does it sound like a plan?

Did you give any thoughts to Malolactic Fermentation? If so, don't add any K-meta or K-sorbate before doing that. Then, if you do, don't add any k-sorbate afterward.

Did you give any thoughts to Malolactic Fermentation? If so, don't add any K-meta or K-sorbate before doing that. Then, if you do, don't add any k-sorbate afterward.

Haven't really given it any thought, I may haver to read up on this. How does one go about Malolactic Fermentation?

You introduce the bacteria to your wine as soon as its done fermenting witout adding any sorbate or sulfite. Here is a link for the MLF culture.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=WLP790, You should also get a test kit for checking when the malic acid is gone but you can wait it out until you see no more action. It is a fermentation but no where near as active as a primary fermentation so you dont have to worry about headspac with this and should keep it topped up during this.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=223-10

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't yet looked into this. What are the benefits of doing MLF? (runs off to check the search function and my google foo powers)

so basically if I decide to go this route, I would transfer to secondary and then introduce the mlf culture. I noticed the local brew place has the test kits on their website but I didn't notice the cultures. I'll have to stop over tomorrow after work and see and then make up my mind.

just called, not in stock. If I order on-line, can oaking still take place at the same time?

Last edited:
yes I have oaked at the same time
I have some VP41 ML culture and will do that on my Chilean juices soon.

You introduce the bacteria to your wine as soon as its done fermenting witout adding any sorbate or sulfite. Here is a link for the MLF culture.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=WLP790, You should also get a test kit for checking when the malic acid is gone but you can wait it out until you see no more action. It is a fermentation but no where near as active as a primary fermentation so you dont have to worry about headspac with this and should keep it topped up during this.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=223-10

Whats the bif difference to the liquid cultures vs the dry culture? The above place has the dry in stock but the liquid referenced in the lin wont be available until June 7. Considering placing an order.

Have not used the liquid just the powder. One reason I can think of is Shelf Life. Powder is at least 2 years.

Guess I should have asked if there was any nutrients, etc recommended before I placed my order. Are there any special nutrients etx that are required to be added for MLF? I can call and add them to my order if so.

Thanks

Just a side note, reds are at .994

Are you saying with MLS there is no need to add sorbate to stabilize after MLF completes? I would still add K-meta after MLF completes correct? What happens if after MLF is complete you add sorbate? Just curious since I've ordered the dry culture and test kit this am and I don't want to screw this up.

Guess I should have asked if there was any nutrients, etc recommended before I placed my order. Are there any special nutrients etx that are required to be added for MLF? I can call and add them to my order if so.

Thanks

Just a side note, reds are at .994

Tine to add MLF!
Nothing else needed

Are you saying with MLS there is no need to add sorbate to stabilize after MLF completes? I would still add K-meta after MLF completes correct? What happens if after MLF is complete you add sorbate? Just curious since I've ordered the dry culture and test kit this am and I don't want to screw this up.
DO NOT add anything now. Once MLF is done add 1/4tsp of meta. DO NOT EVER add Sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF. It will add a geranium taste to it

DO NOT add anything now. Once MLF is done add 1/4tsp of meta. DO NOT EVER add Sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF. It will add a geranium taste to it

Good deal, that explains it. I thought I had read that just wanted to confirm.

tom said:
Tine to add MLF!
Nothing else needed

Culture and test kit is ordered. I ordered te 20 strip kit and 4 packs of culture 2 for now and 2 so I have them on hand. Hopefully it will ship today or tomorrow morning and I'll have on Monday so I can add the culture then. My LBS didn't have any culture.

If you are gonna do more than 4 reds with MLF culture I suggest look into VP41 which will do up to 66 gallons and is around $25.

If you are gonna do more than 4 reds with MLF culture I suggest look into VP41 which will do up to 66 gallons and is around $25.

I have had very good luck with Enoferm Beta on big, full bodied reds made from grapes. I've never tried it on juice. However. I will be trying it soon. It's $29.95 @ More Wine. (http://morewinemaking.com).

my stuff from finevinewines should be here on Tuesday. I guess I'll be starting my MLF then. It won't be too late will it? I imagine based on my current sg readings fermentation will have stopped by then.

Culture should be here tomorrow after work, will work on getting that together and started before Fire practice. Looking forward to trying this out.

It will make your wine nice and smooth compared to being harsh with a bite.

Back