Wine Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,
Thank you for your quick reply. The product name on the buckets is "Toro Negro", and is packaged in Canada. I have done "Home Wine" juice buckets in the past, which were not pre-innoculated. I was expecting a similar product. (Actually, I was hoping for a better product.)

Upon reading the label, and seeing "wine yeast", I did give them a dose of K-meta. The problem is that now there is no telling, without more extensive testing than I care to do, whether any fermentation has taken place and what effect that will have on the final product. On the bright side, it's going to be an adventure.

Caveat emptor...

Tom,
Thank you for your quick reply. The product name on the buckets is "Toro Negro", and is packaged in Canada. I have done "Home Wine" juice buckets in the past, which were not pre-innoculated. I was expecting a similar product. (Actually, I was hoping for a better product.)

Upon reading the label, and seeing "wine yeast", I did give them a dose of K-meta. The problem is that now there is no telling, without more extensive testing than I care to do, whether any fermentation has taken place and what effect that will have on the final product. On the bright side, it's going to be an adventure.

Caveat emptor...

See you're in Pittsburgh, did you get you juice from Consumer's?

I guess each importer does it differently. I get my juice from Gino's in NJ. I have never sean yeast listed on my buckets. So, I wonder.

See you're in Pittsburgh, did you get you juice from Consumer's?

Yes. Picked them up today.

I noticed your prior post. Did you check your buckets after reading my post about the "wine yeast"?

Yes. Picked them up today.

I noticed your prior post. Did you check your buckets after reading my post about the "wine yeast"?

Yes, it does say wine yeast. Did you notice you have gape must opposed to grape must?

My temps are at 60 degrees now. I'll check them again in the morning and will most likely pitch my yeast at lunchtime.

Oaking

If I decide to oak the reds I picked up, at what point do I do so? Do I oak in the primary or after it is transferred to the secondary? I've read varying articles on the subject and wanted to know what everyone thought.

I oak my big reds 8 ounces American oak after wine has cleared then bulk age to one year. Other reds I do less oak, this past season I did 3/4 cup.

I oak my big reds 8 ounces American oak after wine has cleared then bulk age to one year. Other reds I do less oak, this past season I did 3/4 cup.

Given the S.G.'s of these Chilean juice buckets, and the lack of skins, I doubt that these will turn out to be "big" reds. I intend to start off on the light side with oak cubes (About 30 grams/6 gallons.) after fermentation is complete. Depending on how it tastes after a month, or so, of aging I may add more.

I also plan on putting them through MLF, then adjusting the acid after that.

Yes, it does say wine yeast. Did you notice you have gape must opposed to grape must?

My temps are at 60 degrees now. I'll check them again in the morning and will most likely pitch my yeast at lunchtime.

As a further note on the "wine yeast" in the Toro Negro juice pails sold by Consumer's, I sent an email to <[email protected]> asking about the type, manufacturer and name of the wine yeast additive to these juice pails. Their answer is below;

>The ingredients should say that it “may contain” the ingredients described >by you, because we sell these pails in Canada also. For the US none of >those ingredients are added.

>Sorry for the confusion it has caused, if you have any other questions or >concerns, please feel free to contact me.

>Regards,

>Valeria Jasarevic

>Toro Negro

Okay then. I'm happy.

Given the S.G.'s of these Chilean juice buckets, and the lack of skins, I doubt that these will turn out to be "big" reds. I intend to start off on the light side with oak cubes (About 30 grams/6 gallons.) after fermentation is complete. Depending on how it tastes after a month, or so, of aging I may add more.

I also plan on putting them through MLF, then adjusting the acid after that.
If still in the primary make a banana "soup". I just did that to my 6 Chilean buckets. I started with 7#'s of bananas and got 8 cups that all shared equal amts.. Same here I will do MLF

I moved my 2 buckets of white to the 2nd floor bedroom last night and I now have the brew belts on the reds. Temps were not going much above 65. I know it will ferment at that temp, but everyone recommends higher temps. Temps of the reds this am were 77 degrees, I moved the belts a little higher on the buckets to try to get down to 75. I have yet to check temp of the whites but it's 74 on the 2nd floor of the house with windows open last night.

Yeasties are very happy now, such a nice sound of little bubbles being formed.

I moved my 2 buckets of white to the 2nd floor bedroom last night and I now have the brew belts on the reds. Temps were not going much above 65. I know it will ferment at that temp, but everyone recommends higher temps. Temps of the reds this am were 77 degrees, I moved the belts a little higher on the buckets to try to get down to 75. I have yet to check temp of the whites but it's 74 on the 2nd floor of the house with windows open last night.

Yeasties are very happy now, such a nice sound of little bubbles being formed.

I know what you mean about the sound of happy yeasties. The best part is the smell, though. Added DAP this morning and the smell got even sweeter. Ya gotta love it!

My readings this morning;
Malbec = S.G. 1.04, Brix 10.0, Temp 80⁰; Carmenere = S.G. 1.039, Brix 9.8, Temp 81⁰

I know what you mean about the sound of happy yeasties. The best part is the smell, though. Added DAP this morning and the smell got even sweeter. Ya gotta love it!

My readings this morning;
Malbec = S.G. 1.04, Brix 10.0, Temp 80⁰; Carmenere = S.G. 1.039, Brix 9.8, Temp 81⁰

I didn't even bother checking the SG since I only moved to warmer temps last night. I'll check on Sunday. OIh and yes the smell is wonderful when you open the cellar door. Can't notice it so much from the whites but definately the Cab Franc and the Chianti

What time did you pick up you juices on Wednesday. We were there around 12:30-1:00. I'm already looking forward to fall for the CA juices.

I'll be picking up some carboys from Premier Produce (thanks Steve) next week. I need at least 2 5 gallon for transfer as one of my 5's is tied up with elderberry now.

I didn't even bother checking the SG since I only moved to warmer temps last night. I'll check on Sunday. OIh and yes the smell is wonderful when you open the cellar door. Can't notice it so much from the whites but definately the Cab Franc and the Chianti

What time did you pick up you juices on Wednesday. We were there around 12:30-1:00. I'm already looking forward to fall for the CA juices.

I'll be picking up some carboys from Premier Produce (thanks Steve) next week. I need at least 2 5 gallon for transfer as one of my 5's is tied up with elderberry now.

I'm fermenting in a corner of my kitchen, much to my wife's dismay. I like to keep the temps of my reds in the range of 78⁰ - 82⁰. The cellar is too cool to achieve that range. At the rate that these are fermenting I will probably have to put them under an airlock either Friday evening or Saturday morning.

I was at CP, picking up my pails, @ around 1:00 on Wednesday. Maybe we passed each other at the loading dock?

I pulled in to the second bay from the building just as you pulled out. Green Mercury Montego. Which part of the 'burgh are you from? I'm from Bethel.

A member of my wine club made the Chilean Viognier and came out great. I am aging a CA all juice Viognier now. I would recommend the Chilean Malbec and Carmenere to start. The juices should come in "balanced" but, would ck the Ph TA and gravity. You may also consider to make a "banna soup" to add for bigger body. I think they could stand more body and dont be afraid to add a good helping (2+ cups)of Med toast oak.

A buddy of mine did dthe Chilean Viognier last year. He gave me a bottle which was very good.

Checked SG's yesterday. The reds have the brew belts on them during the night and about 3-4 hours during the day for a total of about 12 hours. The whites are on the 2nd floor where the room temps are mid 70's. Must temps of the reds are around 75 and the whites were around 70. Sg's were as follows;

Cab Franc 1.010
Chianti 1.012
Pinot Grigio 1.040
Sav Blanc 1.044

I'll likely move the brew belts to the whites tomorrow after work as the reds will likely be below 1.0 by then.

Reds are at 1.00 and Whites are at 1.030 or there abouts. Going to oak the Cab Franc with French Medium Oak beans after transfer to secondary. Chianti will be oaked with the same. We're not real crazy about a heavy oak taste so will go on the light side for now. The package says that 3 oz of the beans for 2 months is good for 5-6 gallons for a fresh barrel taste. Probably going to start with half that and taste along the way.

Any suggestions or does it sound like a plan?

Latest posts

Back