Wine Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Should I add Oak when I get it home? I'm getting a Montepulciano and a Zin, both dry reds.

I like adding it in the secondays as I leave it in at least 4 weeks.

- I'm assuming the juice bucket doesn't come with any stabilizers or clarifiers like you get with a kit- So I'll need to pick up some sorbate and some clarifier, right?

Yes you will need meta, sorbate, yeast nutrient and clairifiers. I dont like they added yeast I rather add mine

- In general, should I treat this just like a kit that's missing everything except juice? Same process, same degassing, same stabilization, etc...?
Yes. But plan on bulk aging reds a year

Reviving an old thread, but it's that time of year again. Getting my first batch of Chilean Malbec juice this May. Malbec being one of my favs, I want it to turn out really great.

I've absorbed a good amount on the MLF process, however I wanted to confirm a few things.

1) Is MLF the way to go with a Malbec, or is that more suited for the Chilean whites? Was trying to follow that. IF it's a good idea, do I still primary ferment till X.XX SG reading, and then begin the MLF?

2) Is the temp range for MLF different than regular fermentation? My basement where I do most of this stuff is a fairly steady 65º. I'd hate to have to move it upstairs and then downstairs, over and over.

3) Which Yeast would you recommend? Looking for a Yeast that will bring out the character of the Malbec, accentuate some good dark cherry/blackberry notes, and solid tannins, while on the dryer side overall - I don't want it to taste like a Jolly Rancher! My experience with using EC1118 on a Carmenere juice kit were that it was a very underwhelming and 1 dimensional wine.

4) I've heard mixed comments about whether or not the juice is likely "balanced" when I get it. I know my store has pH test kits, et others. But wouldn't know where to start - or at least, what I was shooting for. Most of the links in this post were broken, so any simple tips or link would be helpful to ensure I start off on the right foot. Sometimes Google sends me on quite the journey...

5) Do you typically Oak Malbecs, and at what point with fresh juice? during Secondary or MLF?

I'm really getting into this process, but have been somewhat disheartend by the results. Wines so far have been drinkable, but most of them lack depth. They are often very light and un-eventful. Then I pop open a $10 Malbec and it's a real treat! I know there isn't a perfect technique, but hard to tell where/what I did or didn't do during the process. So, I want to hit this one out of the park! Thanks so much for your help.

Stephen

I have never MLF'd a wine.

Nor have I, that does not mean there are those that would not benifit from it this may be one. Also paintence (a year or more is probably in order) .

Last edited:
See below :dg

Reviving an old thread, but it's that time of year again. Getting my first batch of Chilean Malbec juice this May. Malbec being one of my favs, I want it to turn out really great.

I've absorbed a good amount on the MLF process, however I wanted to confirm a few things.

1) Is MLF the way to go with a Malbec, or is that more suited for the Chilean whites? Was trying to follow that. IF it's a good idea, do I still primary ferment till X.XX SG reading, and then begin the MLF?Yes all ny reds go thru MLF

2) Is the temp range for MLF different than regular fermentation? My basement where I do most of this stuff is a fairly steady 65º. I'd hate to have to move it upstairs and then downstairs, over and over.trick is keep it from temp swings figure 3 months.

3) Which Yeast would you recommend? Looking for a Yeast that will bring out the character of the Malbec, accentuate some good dark cherry/blackberry notes, and solid tannins, while on the dryer side overall - I don't want it to taste like a Jolly Rancher! My experience with using EC1118 on a Carmenere juice kit were that it was a very underwhelming and 1 dimensional wine.I like RC212 on all most of my big reds

4) I've heard mixed comments about whether or not the juice is likely "balanced" when I get it. I know my store has pH test kits, et others. But wouldn't know where to start - or at least, what I was shooting for. Most of the links in this post were broken, so any simple tips or link would be helpful to ensure I start off on the right foot. Sometimes Google sends me on quite the journey...Ususlly all juice is balenced

5) Do you typically Oak Malbecs, and at what point with fresh juice? during Secondary or MLF?I like oak in all my reds like 2C If doing MLF rack @ 1.020 and add MLF I leave it 3 months ,rack and add oak

I'm really getting into this process, but have been somewhat disheartend by the results. Wines so far have been drinkable, but most of them lack depth. They are often very light and un-eventful. Then I pop open a $10 Malbec and it's a real treat! I know there isn't a perfect technique, but hard to tell where/what I did or didn't do during the process. So, I want to hit this one out of the park! Thanks so much for your help.

Stephen

Tom I understand some folks are starting MLF's right in the beginning of fermentation now. Have you or anyone in your club done this rather then waiting till 2/3's through it?

Can one assume these juices are already sulfited?

Do most of you guys test at the end of the 3 months or can you just assume by tasting it's OK?

Can one assume these juices are already sulfited?

Do most of you guys test at the end of the 3 months or can you just assume by tasting it's OK?

The juice buckets from Luva Bella's are sulfited, balanced and innoculated with yeast, they use 1118. Last spring I talked to the winemaker and he told me unless you are letting your wines age about 3 years, they really is no benefit to an MLF on the juice buckets we get from Luva Bella's.

Last edited:
Back