wine is too sweet!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah

Reaction score
let it ferment as long as I could and when it was stuck at 1.000 sg tried adding yeast energizer and that still didnt work any suggestions on what I should do? Should I add a dry wine to it?

Adding a dry wine to it is probably your best bet at this point. I have a similar problem with a batch of Apricot-Muscat (5.5 gallons) that I am making. It is about 1.020 so I am about to put on a batch of straight Muscat and I will ferment it to about 0.994 and blend the two. I should end up with something around 1.006, which will still be a little sweet, but okay.

Did you try warming it up some? Sometimes towards the end you have to get the wine a little warmer to finish. Sometimes the ferment just takes a long time to finish out. Good luck, Arne.

What was the starting SG?
What type of wine is it?
Kit or fresh?
What is the temperature of the wine?
These are things we need to know to help you.

Yes, warm it up to 75F to 80F and give it a nice stir once a day. Give it about 5 more days to see if the SG drops at all.

Usually, if this doesn't work, ther is nothing you can do to get fermentation going again. The wine should be perfectly fine at 1.000. I have had several fermentations stop at 1.000 and they ended up just fine; you wouldn't know the difference.

At an SG of 1.000 the wine is technically dry (0 Brixs), just not completely dry. So, it should not taste sweet, at least not from any residual sugar.

When the acid level of a wine is high and the alcohol level is also above about 13.5%, the wine will have a false sweetness due to the alcohol.
Alcohol can taste this way up to almost 40%.

If you can't get it to finish below 1.000 - consider adding in sorbate - as there is still sugar in the wine - and it could start fermenting later on.

Back