Wine has white substance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvizz

Junior
Reaction score
Decided to rack my 10 month old Merlot yesterday and noticed some white substance located on the surface below the air lock cork about 4" in diameter. This is my second batch of this type grape and the first batch did'nt have the white stuff. I did a tase test while racking the wine and the wine taste great. There was really no sediment in the bottom of the carboy, and I plan on botteling some time in April. What is the white substane?

You didn't say it this wine is from a kit or what. Details are important.

Did you add the right amount of Kmeta at stabilization time?
That is most, most important!

If you could test for the amount of free SO2 present, that would be really good. 10 months in the carboy is too long for the wine to be still protected by only the initial stabilization amount of Kmeta. If you haven't added additional Kmeta since then, I suspect the problem is mold/bacteria. You said there is no sediment in the bottom, so suck white substance off with a turkey baster and add 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta to wine and stir really well. Wait a month to see it it returns.

It could be sorbate that didn't get dissolved. Did you add sorbate?

Could possibly be yeast, but I doubt it. Again, suck it off and wait a month.

This white "smultz" is typical on grape wines. It isn't a problem. Just put your racking wand,carefully, into the carboy so as not to disturb it and rack off, leaving the white stuff behind.

Welcome aboard!!!

When you added the k-meta in - was it the powder form or tablets?

Sometimes if the tablets are not crushed well enough the glue can cause this.

This white "smultz" is typical on grape wines. It isn't a problem. Just put your racking wand,carefully, into the carboy so as not to disturb it and rack off, leaving the white stuff behind.

We still don't now whether the poster is dealing with fresh/frozen grapes, kit wines, or fruit wines. Would be nice if we knew...

Turock, I agree with you, if one is dealing with fresh or frozen grapes. I can't even comment of fruit wines, as I have no experience with them. Generally, this is not the case for kit wines. One shouldn't get anything like this with kits.

Could even be a Cellar Craft kit and it needs that enzyme packet. Sorry but its like a person telling the mechanic the car is making a noise and not stating where its coming from or what it sounds like. We need a lot more info please and we'd be glad to help you.

White specs floating on wine

Thanks everyone for the replies. The wine is from a Chilien grape juice. I haven't added anything to the juice except yeast. My first batch last year turned out great and did not have the white stuff. There is very little stuff floating on top, and am not sure if it's a bad thing. Are you recommending I add potassium
Meta bisulfate? Thanks

Yes you should have added meta right after fermentation was completed. I would add 1/4 tsp right now and stir it in. Can you bunch up a paper towell and stick it in the neck and try to get most of the white stuff to attach to it carefully and pull it out? Try this before add ing the meta.

Decided to rack my 10 month old Merlot yesterday and noticed some white substance located on the surface below the air lock cork about 4" in diameter. What is the white substace?

Have you notified Homeland security?

Hehehe, It could be something! Bwaa haaa haaa
Sorry, ok yes it sounds like you havent added anything in quite a few months so if thats so you probably have an infection so if this is the case youll want to rack the wine gently leaving as much of that white stuff behind and rack it onto a strong sulfite addition. Id probably hit it with 1/2 tsp per 6 gallons just to be sure especially since it hasnt had any.

Sorry, ok yes it sounds like you havent added anything in quite a few months so if thats so you probably have an infection so if this is the case youll want to rack the wine gently leaving as much of that white stuff behind and rack it onto a strong sulfite addition. Id probably hit it with 1/2 tsp per 6 gallons just to be sure especially since it hasnt had any. You will probably need a smaller vessel as youll be leaving some behind!

Sorry, ok yes it sounds like you havent added anything in quite a few months so if thats so you probably have an infection so if this is the case youll want to rack the wine gently leaving as much of that white stuff behind and rack it onto a strong sulfite addition. Id probably hit it with 1/2 tsp per 6 gallons just to be sure especially since it hasnt had any. You will probably need a smaller vessel as youll be leaving some behind!

In addition to what Wade said I would probably plan to filter it in about a month after racking and test your S02 and adjust as needed.

Latest posts

Back