Wine flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWino

Reaction score
I have had bold red wines, such as Gnarly head Old Vine Zin, that have a lot of strong flavors like pepper, berries etc. How can I get these flavors in my home made reds? I have added oak and tannin to some and it has improved the taste but I am trying to get that real bold flavor. I use California juices. Is there anything I can add to increase the flavor?

Like Dan said, use raisins (or a grape pack). I would use a Cab but it is up to you. George sells both the Cab (which is currently out of stock) and a Syrah. If you use raisins, rough chop them or pulse them in a blender and put them in a bag. As the bag floats to the top of the wine, sanitize your hands and squeeze the bag as well as you can. Do this twice a day and you will be amazed at the amount of TDS you can get. I put the grape packs in a bag and do the same things. I am making a Brunello from Italian juice and it already is drinkable and has legs like Betty Grable.

I never heard of a grape pack. How much raisins do you suggest for a 6 gallon batch of wine? When do you put them in and how long do you keep them in the wine? What type of flavor does it add?

MrWino, I use a 1 lb box for a batch of wine and put it in the primary. I keep it there until the wine is at SG 1.020 or so, squeezing it at least twice a day. It will float to the top so I sanitize my hands with k-meta solution first, then wring out the liquid from the bag into the wine and drop the bag back in the wine.

Grape packs are sold by George at the Wine Makers Toy Store. Visit there site and you will find them in their on line catalog. I put them in the bag provided alond with the pectic enzyme provided and squeeze them just like the raisins.

It is not so much the flavor that they provide as it is the body and color from the solids. The majority of the flavor comes from the juice in the kit but the packs and the raisins do impart some.

I am not sure if you are using grapes or a kit.

If grapes, then you need to allow the juice to sit on the skins (macerate) longer. This should definately help.

IMHO, you could try to add raisons to fix a wine that has already been pressed, but I would not use them in favor of a longer maceration.

Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin, like others likely drains off 10% to 20% of the juice from the crushed grapes within a few hours after crushing. What is left will result in a thicker, more intense flavored wine. The must is cold soaked and/or macerated for several days. The juice you drain off can be made into a white Zin or a rose.

Of course if you are getting juice only, this won't help you; you would have to buy dozens of grape packs to make a Zin that rich/heavy. However, even one single grape pack can help some, you just won't have anythng on the order of Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin or Predator Zin.

Most of those heavy Zins also have lots of oak in them; medium to heavy toast.

Last edited:
I buy juice in 6 gallon buckets. The place I get juice from also sells grapes. Do you think if I bought some grapes, crushed them and added them to the juice it would help? My wine turns out real good but I am always looking for ways to improve it. I have seen different additives such as dried elder berries in catalogs. Has anybody tried these to increase flavors? I added some heavy toasted oak and tannin to a gallon of wine this year and it improved the flavor so that is something that I plan to do with wine I have aging.

MrWino, I have used dried elderberry WINE to kick up a weak Cab. about 25% elderberry works for us. We have now moved on to top end kits & I don't think I'll be adding any elderberry to them. But the elderberry/cab & elderberry/blueberry were big hits. Roy

MrWino, adding grapes to the juice would essentially be using an f-pack (flavor pack) and should enhance the body, color and flavor of the wine. I am making an 18 gallon batch of Brunello from juice that I bought at L'Uva Bella and I added two Cabernet Sauvignon grape packs in bags with the pectic enzyme from George to my primary (20 gallon). I squeezed the grape packs a couple times a day. The wine has been on for less than a month and I have already "tested" some. It is going to be really good.

I will be getting some carmenera and Malbec juice from Luva Bella in the spring. I am going to try flavor packs. I racked some carmenere and malbec yesterday. It is from last spring and I had added some dark roasted oak to both of them. It really improved the flavor. I am usually satisfied with my wine but I am always looking for ways to improve it. Do you go to Luva Bella to get your juice or get it from one of thier distributors?

L'uva Bella is only about 35 minutes from me so I go there for juice buckets. I order all of my kits from George at Fine Vine Wines.

Latest posts

Back