Wine Cellar Opinions Needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinion 1: if you are at a steady 68 degrees, then go with either a door OR a gate (whatever you prefer). I do not think it can matter too much either way (with respect to the longevity care of your wine).

Opinion 2: ITS WAAAAAY TOO SMALL!!!! (don't take this to heart. I am one of those sick folks out there that feels no basement is large enough) :)

LOL that space actually runs about 28' in length but it would be awkward that big. I may extend it to 10' though.

Final Design

Well I think I have a final design. I decided that the cellar under the porch was just going to be too cramped. I have come up with a new design and it is still 360 bottles.

Here we go... Thoughts?

Specs:
32.5 SQFT
~215 CUFT
2x6 walls
R-19 Insulation walls and ceiling
CellarPro 1800QT Cooling Unit

2016-02-09_1732.png

2016-02-09_1732_001.jpg

2016-02-09_1752.png

2016-02-09_1759.png

2016-02-09_1800.png

2016-02-09_1802.jpg

I really like the fact that the cellar comes with a sommelier!!!

Yeah... my wife has a difficult time trying to understand 2d drawings so I have to do it in 3D. Working on adding the entire basement now.

2016-02-10_1712.png

I love your ideas. Last year I built a 4x8 wine cooler. At the time my wife said why are you making it so small. She is very wise. It's pretty full. ImageUploadedByWine Making1455245595.370959.jpg

I love your ideas. Last year I built a 4x8 wine cooler. At the time my wife said why are you making it so small. She is very wise. It's pretty full.

Man you dropped the ball! You should have asked her how big she would go and built that. That way if it's ever to big it's her fault lol!

Updates: I think I have settled on this for the final design. It's kind of turned into a complete remodel. I will begin destruction next weekend. Once I get the existing areas opened up I will start the wire fishing for a couple of new circuits back into the panel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

So as you will soon discover,, That space will become entirely too small. Solution,,,,, reserve it for your "SELECT" samples! Or only a limited amount of your creations destined for greatness!!! The rest will be consumed or spend little time in there anyway :dg
BTW,, is that enclosure (last dwg. at the bottom) the under porch area you were considering?? Insulate overhead and a basic door should keep temp steady enough for the daily stock..

Last edited:
So as you will soon discover,, That space will become entirely too small. Solution,,,,, reserve it for your "SELECT" samples! Or only a limited amount of your creations destined for greatness!!! The rest will be consumed or spend little time in there anyway :dg
BTW,, is that enclosure (last dwg. at the bottom) the under porch area you were considering?? Insulate overhead and a basic door should keep temp steady enough for the daily stock..

Yeah it was but it is just too narrow for what I will call a "Finished Cellar". I can certainly use it for overflow. I don't make wine so I don't really require that much space. Being a finish carpenter by trade a lot of this is to have something to do.

AHHHH!! the "BIG PICTURE" (anyone remember that one??).. Your plan looks perfect and may even prove to be inspirational!!

Every application is going to be different for sure. His box is in a garage which I could see as problematic with condensation and fiberglass. Mine will be constructed in conditioned space where the ~10° different. That being said I do plan to use rigid foam to the interior along with foam insulation as the moisture barrier. The floor will be sealed with drylok then covered with 6mil plastic topped by the wood floor. The walls will be drywall sealed with a gloss finish the corners will be caulked as I set the sheets in place. The key is sealing air tight.

I would use spray foam if it was cheap enough.

I got these doors for $90 a slab at Menards (Home Depot has them as well). There is plenty of room to shave off 5 inches. Is your rack done? Double deep at the ends of the closet might give you more capacity. My closet is 2' x 10' and holds 504 bottles with a 74" high rack. Where in OH are you located? http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46912&page=2
attachment.php

Last edited:
I got these doors for $90 a slab at Menards (Home Depot has them as well). There is plenty of room to shave off 5 inches. Is your rack done? Double deep at the ends of the closet might give you more capacity. My closet is 2' x 10' and holds 504 bottles with a 74" high rack. Where in OH are you located? http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46912&page=2
attachment.php

Hey that's a nice use of the space. If the space under my porch had a larger opening I would consider going that route. The problem for me was making it look like something nice. You did a nice job with the 2x10 space, that large opening is what make it work.

I am between Akron and Cleveland.

That is going to be nice. Now I have to keep repeating: I will not remodel my basement. I will not remodel my basement. I will not....

Dropped the gate design a while back. Sticking with the current design and a cellarpro 1800 cooling unit. Rather "do it right" once than have to possibly go back and make changes later.

Latest posts

Back