wine bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefootwines

Premium Membership
Reaction score
Hi bottled lots but i am thinking of using bags now on my early drinkers. I am cleaning a lot of bottles and i think i would only bottle like 6 or so and bag the rest. Anything special needed or is it like bottling ? Thanks.

Shane

I have some experience in the area of bagging early drinkers. The simple answer is....DON"T! I ruined 3 batches of wine by trying to do that. I set up tap systems in the bags that the juices came in. I figured if the bags were good enough for the juice, it was good enough for the wine! Right?! WRONG!!! I don't think you can add enough KMS to keep the wine fresh.

Simply put - it won't work. If you value your time and your end product, bite the bullet and bottle it. You will not be disappointed.

I reuse the wine on tap bags all the time. If you buy wine in a box it comes in a heavy plastic bag. The wine stays fresh for over a month once opened. As you drink the wine the bag collapses around the wine, eliminating head space. My home brew stays fresh longer then the store bought stuff. Some of the on/off plugs come out, some don't. Be carfull not to pull against the bag when removing the plug. Plastic will streach thin if pulled.
I have seen the wine bags for sale in homebrew catalogs. I have not tried those yet. I have reused my wine bags about four times so far. I think its time for them to get retired befor they get any thin spots!
Remember to be gentel and fill them up when they are in the box. Not out! Press out extra air after filling. Be sure the spigot is closed before setting upright!

Be sure the spigot is closed before setting upright![/QUOTE]

Hey Jen, is there a story to go along with this?? LOL, Arne.

I have used the bag in a box wine container also, with out a problem.
I even bought some emptys online, to use for dragon blood this summer.

The gentleman who got me started on wine making (oh so many years ago) made a couple of mist kits every spring (or late winter), bagged them, and kept some in his garage fridge for consumption on a hot day after mowing or weeding or chasing the kids or whatever else.

When I ran a store, some folks who lived in RVs made wine in my store and bagged the wine because there's not enough room to be storing cases of bottles in an RV.

Steve

I bag Skeeter Pee - works great - in the fridge - nice and cold on a summers days.

Hi all thanks for the information i saw the bags at the brew shop i go to and was just wondering about them and i will use them. I was wondering if filling needs a special tip for the bottling hose ?

Shane

I also bag up my quick drinkers, particularly Dragon Blood. Like jensmith, I also reuse the commercial ones a few times. When filling, I use the normal bottling attachment. When it's full to my liking, I set it on the counter, put the spigot on and carefully "burp" out the air bubbles.

The hard part is making sure you have properly washed and sanitized the bag and the spigot.

Back