wINE bAGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete s

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Gang!
A newbie here to the site.
I am making several 5 gal batches of wine from concentrate.
In a week I rack, 2nd time,and then per instructions, let it sit for 2 months.
My question is: Can I put some of the wine in wine bags at bottling time and let it age a bit in them?? The bags are about airtight and if filled , I don't see a problem--do you???
Thanks so much for the help! Pete

I've used the bags before for batches. Some big ones that I aged half in bottles and half in bags. It worked well...
The only bad thing is it's easy to dip into a bag since it doesn't let air in. Then you find you go to dip and it's all gone.
smiley19.gif

From everything I have read about the bags, they are not recommended for long-term aging over 6 months. I think it has something to do with the porosity of plastic.

Thanks George,

I don't think the wine in the bags would get to be 6 months old!

We would bag about 2 1/2 gals, of each of 2 kinds,..the rest going into bottles. Then we would use the bags after about 30 days or so for daily consumption. pete

geocorn said:
From everything I have read about the bags, they are not recommended for long-term aging over 6 months. I think it has something to do with the porosity of plastic.

Did you just use the word "porosity?" I had to look that one up.

I was doing better when folks were using words like "thingy" and "stuff". As in "Careful when using the siphon THINGY when racking or you will stir up the STUFF at the bottom of the carboy. "

Sorry...I'm being a grammar nag. I was always tought that you should avoid using $2 words when a $.02 word will do. However, what may be a $2 word to me, may only be a $.02 word to you, right?

Hmmm, this smacks of a new topic thread...

I never really thought of porosity as a $2 word, nor are you being a grammar nag. But what "$.02" word would you use rather than "the porosity of plastic"? Would you say "the condition where plastic might have really small holes between the molecules that let air through"? To me, that seems like using about $5 worth of $.02 words.
smiley36.gif

Okay...

Original
"From everything I have read about the bags, they are not recommended for long-term aging over 6 months. I think it has something to do with the porosity of plastic."

My $.02 translation...
"I've read that bags aren't good for aging, they let too much air in."

I'm quite sure that "thingy" and "stuff" came from one of my post
smiley36.gif

However, I would not want to age in plastic bags or carboys, as I would be afraid that the wine might absorb a plastic like taste. But, this is coming from the girl that doesn't like to put sandwiches in plastic sandwich bags, because they taste and smell funky to me afterwards. To me glass or oak would be the way to age.

Well, my idea is to always use glass as a first choice if possible for long term storage and plastic only as a short term container, ( such as the wine bags which we will be using on a daily basis).
Appreciate the interest in the wine bags. pete s

with the way the sterling to US $ exchange rate is going, even $2 words will only be worth 2 pence. Then you can pontificate ad nauseam in the queens English for not very much at all
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Usually wine bags with fabric material designs for 1 bottle but others
material leather and canvas can make for 2 or 3 bottle wine. That's
cute design.

Well, I have not the slightest idocity and however due to my mental function i do not even care to paticulate on such a subject

Latest posts

Back