Wine Additive Amounts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
When using wine additives, do you use the amounts specified by the recipe, or the amounts specified by the additive manufacturer?
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
For example, I have various bottles of stuff (pectic enzyme, acide blend, etc.) made by LD Carlson. Each bottle has a label that says something like “Use 1 teaspoon per gallon”.

Often, this amount is different than the amount called for by a wine recipe. So which amount should I use? The one on the bottle, or the one called for by the recipe?

Thanks,

Chopper

I generally use the amounts called for by the manufacturer. The author of the recipe may have used a different formulation than you have. His amount could be correct for what he purchased, but wrong for what you have to work with. If my label calls for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, I would add 1 tablespoon(3 teaspoons) for a 6 gallon carboy. The same thing from another company may call for 1 full tespoon per gallon and if I used 6 teaspoons, it would be twice as much as needed- not always a good thing.

Some chemicals have different strengh.I would check and see what your label says 1st. You can always check back here to verify.

I agree with what's been said thus far. Someone's recipe may havebeen modified to meet their own specific tastes. Using the manufature's suggestioned amounts as a baseline gives you a starting place when you are ready to fine tune to your own particular likings.

Latest posts

Back