Will this work

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I believe it was "Sirs" that has a post about making a "Corkador" ? with two buckets, K-Meta in one and the other setting inside it with holes drilled in the bottom so the S0 2 vapors would come up and sanitize the corks. I made one last week for my corks. Tonite I made one and I have the carboy stoppers and air locks in it. Will this work to keep em sanitized? Don't count off for spelling.

Thanks

Semper Fi

I was actually taught this from the former Administartor in which I took over for at FVW who is a member here but doesnt come on here very often at all. I brought that to this site but I think Runningwolf did the work by actually creating the thread for it so in reality thank him. I always told people to make one but never put it down on thread for more people to see so Kudos to him for doing so. Yes, it will sanitize anything in there like racking hoses and bungs and the such. Just dont put any metal in there as it will rust it fast.

How much Kmeta is put into the bucket and how long do items have to remain in the closed bucket to be fully sanitized?

And don't put pyrex with red paint in there, it will take the painted letters off.

GeraldVineyard, if memory serves me right, it's 3 minutes in a solution of K-Meta made with 3 Table Spoons of K-Meta mixed in 1 Gallon of water. It was in a post a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't figured out how to "Search" and find things yet. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.
---That is submerged, it may take longer if just the vapors come in contact with it.----

Semper Fi

Ok folks don't make this more difficult then it is. I like to keep things simple myself. Basically a corkidore is a five gallon bucket with a lid that incorporates a gasket (as in a primary bucket or a five gallon bucket and lid bought at Home Depot). Place a glass vessel 1/2-1 gallon in the center of it with a k-meta sanitizing solution in it. Spread your corks or hoses around it and seal the lid for storage.

The idea is not for sanitizing corks for bottling in a few hours. It is so you can buy bulk or extra corks and keep them fresh and sanitized till next time you need them. Yes, remove them from corkidore and pop them in. No other steps needed for sanitizing purposes.

In addition I have a few others for keeping my hoses in assuring they're ready to go.

corkidore01.jpg

Note the labels on all of my hoses made from a P-Touch label maker to easily identify which hose goes to which filter, filler or vacuum pump.
corkidore02.jpg

Last edited:
Dan,
Nice explanation! A lot of folks think you have to get the corks wet with sanitizing solution.
Mike

What would the min. amount of time for a cork in a corkidor before bottling? Lurkers bucket inside a bucket is genius! :try

Latest posts

Back