Wild Grapes!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenR65

Junior
Reaction score
Well they are turning from green to purple!!! We have noticed this year there is a big abundance of wild grapes more than last year. We can't wait as my wife will make jams and jellies and of course I will try my first time making wine from wild grapes!! I have tried them and they are a little sweet. I am able to harvest at least 20lbs. They are on the farm we tap trees and harvest our pion cherries as well.
20160729_105543_zpsaopzel1y.jpg

30lbs would be easy. Alot of picking and the farm is loaded with grapes. I doubt I can harvest all the grapes. Will leave some for the bears but 30lbs is very easy to get.

Many strains of wild grapes are very high in acid and flavor so generally are diluted to get the acid levels down so you don't necessarily need that many grapes. Are these Riparia? If so they need dilution.

if the picking is easy go for 100lbs this would give you a nice 5 gallon batch. picking is the most work, fermentation etc for two gallons is same for 5 gallons. go for the volume. if the acid level is high some water additions will be necessary increasing the volume but the color is maintained by the amount of grapes. acid and brix measurements will be important.

I will pick as much as possible but not sure what type of grapes these are. It will be another month before most are ripe for the pickings. I will have to get an acid test kit and already have a hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back