Wild Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than worth looking into and trying Wade. Theres something about doing the entire process yourself that is truly more satisfying than a kit can be, and a great learning experience. Maybe someday I'll have it down!
smiley36.gif

JWMINNESOTA said:
Ive been looking around at different recipes for a port style, when its done Ill send you one and you can tell me how I did!

Pssstttttttttt JW....over here buddy.......no !!! the other bush....Listen podner, I don't mean no disrespect to ole jobe or nuttin buddy but I wouldnt be a sending him no port to try. He just aint refined enuff yet to be a good judge but by gawd I am. Hell, I wrote the book on making Port so iffen ya want a really good evaluation just send it down my way. Being we is forum buddies and all that I won't hardly charge ya anything either for my evaluation
smiley4.gif

How could I pass an offer like that!
smiley36.gif
Ishould of guessed Bubba and Cletus would be the go to guys!

JWMINNESOTA said:
Took a look around last weekend, see the wild grapes are getting closer, not as far along as they were last year, but close. There is again an abundant supply to be had, barring any unforeseen weather , etc, so planning on a few batches again this year. Port style will be a for sure do again, looking at options like adding DME etc. Although Applemans suggestions came out very good(still have a few). Still havent tried the Wild/Pinot Noir blend I did, that may be an option also, need to try one soon. Hopefully the lessons learned will help make even better batches this year, and the Chokecherrys look really loaded up....Life IS Good!

Getting ready to go check some out tonight, and wondered if you could aim m ein the right direction on how many LBS. per gal to use. I am aiming at a 6 gal batch. Thanks for your help!

Of all I have done, I find between 4 and 7 lbs of grape per gallon.If you have had frost in your area sugars may be concentrated a little to gotoward the high end of lbs.You really want to check acid levels after must is prepared to see what corrections if any you want to do. Back sweetening will hide the high acid if you like sweet. Calcium carbonate, potassium carbonate, or mlf if you want dry wine, I recommend mlf, as it gave me best results. Dilution if no other option, but not best choice, as a lot of flavor can be lost. Good luck and have fun with it!

I checked the brix on some wild grapes over the weekend they where at 19.5 . That is where they were last year when I picked them . The forecast is warm and sunny all weekI will check them this coming weekend and see if there is any change.I don't know where the brix should be but I can gather a few numbers to get and idea of what is possible.I wil keep you posted.

If you are getting a brix of 19.5 Farmer they probably aren't rue wild grapes. They usually don't get that high in sugar. They are more likely a vine escaped from cultivation. Check the pH and TA on them if you can and that will give you a better idea of the potential of the grape for wine without dilution.

I figure they came from someones garden . The vines I checked looked like two totally different varieties. I guess if they are growing in the pasture we just call them wild.

20080920_160603_Port.JPG

Racked the Wild port style I'm making today, blended in a Gal Batch of Raspberry, Tentatively planning on Creme de Cacao for the chocolate flavor. Maybe fortify with some E&J when done.

Just to stay busy, trying a Micro Series Cab, got some good smells going on in the Wine Making area!
20080920_160853_MicroSeries.JPG

Added the Creme de Cacao today, couple ounces dark toast oak. Taste really good for such a young wine, have to really think over fortifying. Did darken the color up a bit, its on the left.

20080923_221753_Sept24_009_Smal.jpg

Grandson says he's 100% in favor of adding chocolate!
smiley36.gif

20080923_221953_Sept24_006_Smal.jpg

Someday I'll learn how to change that date stamp...maybe.

Looks mighty good jw
That youngen knows what hes talking about doesn't he
smiley36.gif

How sweet is that?!
smiley20.gif

Spoil them,............... hype them up on sugar............. Send them home!

Your the Greatest JW!
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Steamer Day here at the Old Bastard Cellars...have 40 lbs of wild grape to do, that will be a LOT of wines, jelly, and whatever else! Did make some wine jelly already out of a one gal batch, its really good stuff!
20080927_115712_Steamer_002_Sma.jpg

20080927_115904_Steamer_003_Sma.jpg

I don't know yet if I will make it all into wine....probably, since I like the wine jelly. I did start a couple of five gal batches,blended a gal of apple juice into the one on the left, just because I had it there.
smiley36.gif

20081007_125739_Oct_013_Small.jpg

I was wondering what Wild Type Grapes...... ½ & ½ with Apple Juice would be like????? Anyone ever tried that combo?????
smiley25.gif

Back