Wild Michigan Grapes.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetneck

Reaction score
These wild grapes are growing on my fence with my black raspberries. I can hand pick each "berry" i dont mind especially in my yard. If i let them get too ripe the birds start staining the place up.

Should i hand pick and freeze each day or just pick clusters at the end?

There are lots of these on the state land where i used to live and know some good spots. Well, used to be good lol. Its been a few decades.

Those ones ill have to wait on and maybe i can find time. Would be nice to make at least a gallon though, just to try it.

Attachments

• 20220821_171812.jpg
    20220821_171812.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I made a wild grape last fall and it’s still in bulk. I used 5 lbs per gallon and it was very “foxy” tasting ( think Welches grape jelly). I’m in northeastern Wisconsin and picked in mid-October. Judging by the number of green grapes yours need some time.

I destemmed and sorted by hand then froze the grapes until I had enough for 5 gallons.

Be prepared to age for a long time and add oak to secondary. Good luck.

These look very similar to the ones that I use in Oshkosh. IMO, you'ld be better off if you could cover the grapes to keep the birds out and try to harvest them after the first frost. I usually try to find some other grapes or fruit to blend with the wild grapes. Regardless of how you harvest them, it is a good idea to freeze them before adding to the primary.

I have found that wild grape production varies a lot from year-to-year. I watched for three years while grape production was poor to non-existent, then in 2021 i saw the biggest wild grapes And fullest clusters I had ever seen (mainly on younger plants) This year looks to be nearly a bust. The later you can wait the less astringent they will be.

I agree, it varies year to year. I’ve not had a quantity of wild grapes ( enough for winemaking) for 5 years. I have some perking now:} it was a pretty good year.

Latest posts

Back