Wild Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the last picture a current one? I thought that one would be clear by now. How is it tasting? What %ABV was it? Maybe you could fortify it and make a port out of it once it clears. That way you could sweeten it up to taste and the high alcohol will balance it off.

NW it still has a somewhat high acid taste to it, real grapey is the best way I can describe. Appleman that last picture is the wild by itself, it is clearer than the picture shows, I last racked it a week ago, very little sediment left in it. Never thought of going the port style with it, sounds like a good idea. Its at approx 12% abv.

Another thought/question. It is very light bodied, what could be done to "heavy" it up a little?Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

How about splitting it into 2 different things. Make one into a port fortifying with a good brandy. I would maybe use Blackberry brandy. That would certainly add body to it and make it sweeter. Definitely make sure sorbate had been added. Leave enough room for a bottle or two(1.5 or so)of brandy in a 3 gallon carboy.

Example- To make 3 gallons mix
8.5 liters of 12% JW Wine
plus
3 Liters of 35% Blackberry Brandy
equals 3 gallons-(11.5 liters) of 18%ABV Blackberry/Grape Port
I like cheap Old Mr. Boston Blackberry Brandy- it is sweet,viscous and CHEAP.

Keep the balance in gallon jugs and do like NW says and blend this summer with a variety of fruit wines. Any small amounts left- make a JW Wild Grape Wine JELLY- Yumm..

Edited by: appleman

20080115_102321_100_0224_Small.jpg

Ah, the convenience of living next to a liquor store
smiley36.gif
I will be giving that a go appleman, Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, I would have to invoke my 5th amendment rights on that one, quick it is (about a 10 second walk to the store
smiley36.gif
) The deal is done, sorbate added, mixture mixed, all that is left is to take the remaining wild and getit in gallon jugs.
smiley20.gif

20080115_110925_100_0227_Small.jpg

20080115_111100_100_0228_Small.jpg

20080115_111234_100_0229_Small.jpg

Shazaaammmm!! You are quick there! Is that some kind of new airlock in that first picture?
smiley4.gif
You must really live close to that store! Hope it turns out great for you.

Looking good!!!!!....sounds like a nice blend guys....

JW....You have a lot going on in your wine making area.....But....what is the rolling pin for??? I don't have one of those in my wine making bag of tricks...what am I missing????

Thats a busy area and thats why I like it! I also like that wine bottle next to that carboy. A Chianti would fit right in there!

JW...how about saving a little of that wine to make Wine Jelly...with the Concord flavor it would be nice.

Thats the second suggestion to make wine jelly, think I might just give that a try! The rolling pin
smiley36.gif
, well, that goes with the pliers there, the ol JW method...I put my campden in a folded wax paper, pinch with the pliers just enough till they break, then roll with the pin to grind to powder
smiley36.gif
Maybe seems a little labor intesnsive but helps me keep the measure easy and right on. Can also be used to keep people away from the carboys!
smiley4.gif

That jelly is going to be great...

If you have any Wild Grape Wine left....add some oak to the jug and let it sit for awhile...that will change the flavor....

Tho there is nothing wrong with Concord flavor....

We like our Concord flavor in jelly...But our wines made with Concord cross grapes are getting better with each batch...Just add a little of this and a little of that.

Took a look around last weekend, see the wild grapes are getting closer, not as far along as they were last year, but close. There is again an abundant supply to be had, barring any unforeseen weather , etc, so planning on a few batches again this year. Port style will be a for sure do again, looking at options like adding DME etc. Although Applemans suggestions came out very good(still have a few). Still havent tried the Wild/Pinot Noir blend I did, that may be an option also, need to try one soon. Hopefully the lessons learned will help make even better batches this year, and the Chokecherrys look really loaded up....Life IS Good!

Are they the grapes growing on that tower???
Where the friendly horse was???
Are they ripe already???
My grapes aren't even beginning to show any signs of coloring up yet...
smiley19.gif

Those grapes would make a wonderful Port JW. They truly have a wonderful flavor for being a wild grape.

Ive been looking around at different recipes for a port style, when its done Ill send you one and you can tell me how I did!

Im hoping to be able to spot some wild 1's myself this year. Ive spotted quite a few spots but havent had the time to stop and look to see if any are producing grapes. I have a little time though as there are some around the corner of my road, a small bunch and they are still small so I have a few weeks to get a closer look.

Back