Wild Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20071023_054348_mlfyes_Medium.jpg

MLF appears to be working, It was very light (as I was told it would be) almost unnoticeable. This A.M. there was a little juice up in the airlock and a head of foam. All seems to be progressing well.

I have a question. How do you clean the air lock out after that happens? I have the three piece air locks. They are fairly easy to clean after somethinglike this happens. I am just curious.

Just run water through it. A good stream of water will just flow right through it. Then follow up with some Na or K-Meta and you are good to go. They do make tiny airlock brushes also ifyou get set in mildew or mold, but I usually just toss them if they are bad.

20071028_201214_lastmlf_Medium.jpg

Just got back from a weekend in Wisconsin, fun to go , glad to get back to check on the "kids" Started MLF on this last batch of the wilds, used a different culture for this one, we will see what happens I suppose.
20071028_201510_MLFDRY_Medium.JPG

Now to go through the catalog a few hundred times and get some kits ordered!

Little update on the wilds going through MLF, the first batch looks like its close to done, I'll let it sit for another month or so before I stabilize just to be sure. Added some med American oak chips yesterday.

20071104_075507_zzzwildmlf_Medi.jpg

The "last" batch, three gal, is still active enough to see, coming along very similar to the first one I put through MLF.
20071104_075705_zzwildthree_Med.jpg

I haven't sampled either one since starting the MLF yet, not easy, but somehow I have stayed out of them, will see if any great difference when done.

What I have Going...
20071104_093138_ferming_Medium.jpg

On the left is a five and three gal batch of Chablis, I plan on sparkling the five gal , and use the three to compare the difference it makes. The two gal batches on the back row, and the five gal are the last batch of wild that I started MLF on first of this week, the middle front row is the wild that has been going through MLF since Oct 19th, the front right is the Zin/Shiraz for my better half. First of next week I should be getting Amarone and Symphony from George...may need to acquire a few more carboys
smiley24.gif
smiley36.gif

Pick up some Malic Acid Tests from Accuvin. You should have a final reading of >30 for MLF to be done. I think I will need to put mine in a warmer room. I checked the Frontenac today and it hasn't gone down much yet for Malic. It is down to a little under 500, but I know it is working because the Lactic is up to 200.

Tested Malic today, as I assumed it is moving very nicely, down to around 75 mg/L, Think the earlier guess of one more month may turn out to be right on if it continues at this pace. Tasted it also, smoothing out a bit,nice and dry,not the heavy harsh acidic taste before MLF started.
20071110_101354_maltesta_Medium.jpg

Ordered the Pocket Lab from George, pretty handy test strips, I'm sure the lab at work will be happy I'm not in there making a mess!
smiley36.gif

I did add oak Appleman, around two weeks into MLF a few ounces of Med Toast cubes. At sampling yesterday I could detect just a hint of oak. While it is getting better, it still isn't great. Not real strong, overpowering grapey taste, and the acid is mellowing nicely. Worst case it will be good to blend, maybe it will stand alone. Should know moreafter another month or so. Back sweetening could hide some flaws, but I would prefer it dry if it can reach that level of taste on its own.

20071128_072148_grandcru001_Med.JPG

Got lucky and picked this up off ebay for a song and dance, with the thought of using it to blend with some of the wild grape. Never have made a Spagnols kit before, but I have made WE Pinot Noir that I do like. Any thoughts on a good ratio to try a blend?

I don't have any concreterecommenation for ratio. Just mix up this kit and get it finished up. After you have both this and the wild grape ones, do blends in a glass until you get to a mixture you like. Record each change for amounts of each in it. When you get the blend you like, calculate out for your supply and go with it. I would suspect a 50/50 blend would work ok.

The Pinot Noir I have going to use as a blend is nearing completion, probably stabilize and clear end of this week
20071210_080000_100_0053_Medium.jpg

Meantime, the wild grape sits patiently waiting, I will stabilize it end of the week also, if the Pinot is done, MLF readings show it is complete.
20071210_080233_100_0054_Medium.jpg

Hope it makes something palatable, there is another five gal of the wild behind this one that I MLF'd. Options still open on that one.

Got thefive gal wild and six galpinot blended, as I suspected it might, looked like a little fermentation happening after blending the two. Will let it sit a few months before bottling or tasting, didn't want to taste so early and risk having a great idea to do so early.
smiley36.gif

20071218_022953_100_0062_Medium.jpg

A little luck and maybe might have something here. A Super-JW
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif

20080115_063735_100_0222_Small.jpg

Its been right at a month since I did the blend on the Pinot Noir and Wild, every time I look at it and think about bottling, I hear a voice (loud) saying LET IT BULK AGE! I'm pretty sure its Appleman, so I back away from it slowly, and let it sit. Maybe it is sinking in finally.
smiley36.gif

20080115_064158_100_0223_Small.jpg

Still have this five gal of wild, haven't decided what to blend with as of yet, maybe soon make a decision.

How is the Wild Grape Wine on it's own?????

Maybe just enjoy it as is...or...put it up in gallon jugs and blend it throughout the year with other wines.

Latest posts

Back