Wife Upset with Label...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
So, I show my wife one of the bottles of peach wine I just labeled and she gets upset. Not with the label per say but because of what I've named the wine. I labnled the wine "Walmart Peach" because that is where I had bought the peaches to make the wine. There was/is no attempted to belittle Walmart shopper - obviously I shop there myself as evidenced by where I bought the peaches. I've done this type of naming several times before... My apple wine is labeled/named "Mansfield Apple" because that is where the Cider Mill is located from where I purchased the apple cider. I named a DB variation "Weise Berry" because I bought the berries from the Weise Grocery store here in town. My next DB is likely to be called "Gains Berry" because I hope to get the water for the batch from the roadside spring in Gains,PA.

I'm not a lawyer but I hope I've made a good defense for myself in naming the peach wine "Walmart Peach". Knowing a good offense is often better than I good defense I threatened my wife to rename my peach wine "Trailer Park Peach" [Hope I've not offended anyone with that name, I'd never actually use that name on a label and believe that most folks living in trailer parks are fine folks.]. That seemed to calm here down a bit.

So what say you guys? Even though I know you will of course side with my position on this one and support my sticking with the name "Walmart Peach".

Thanks in advance for your support.

Ps. Saturday night was definitely not the best night to pick this fight. If you know what I mean. :(

Pps. Written mostly tongue in cheek. Janet did in fact not like the name but the issue will not lead to us getting a divorce.

IMAG0079[1].jpg

Last edited:
Bill, I really like the label. Save me a bottle for swapping down the road [emoji4]

Bill, I really like the label. Save me a bottle for swapping down the road [emoji4]

Will do. Believe we've a visit back to CT planned for the end of July. I'll let you know and see if we're able to meet up.

The label itself looks sleek and classy.

I guess I'm not really understanding what her issue is with calling it Walmart Peach?
The only issue I would have would be if you guys actually sell your wines and I assume you don't?

The label itself looks sleek and classy.

I guess I'm not really understanding what her issue is with calling it Walmart Peach?
The only issue I would have would be if you guys actually sell your wines and I assume you don't?

No, definitely not for sale. Labeled bottles get gifted to family or friends or brought to an occasion with family and/or friends.

I think Janet's objection has to do with the juxtaposition of the label name "Hills Creek Estate Wines", we live in a subdivision called "Hill Creek Estates", and the "downtown" wine name of "Walmart Peach". Wife is otherwise happy with the label.

Last edited:
I like the label name. If I remember correctly you live pretty close to Hills Creek Lake (fished there when I was a kid). I'd like to know where you got the water in Gaines since our cabin is just south of Ansonia and I think Gaines is just a mile or two west of us on Rt 6.

Would love to exchange some wines when our family goes up in late July or early August. Have some nice fruit wines that would be bottled by then, would love your opinion on them if you are interested.

I like the label name. If I remember correctly you live pretty close to Hills Creek Lake (fished there when I was a kid). I'd like to know where you got the water in Gaines since our cabin is just south of Ansonia and I think Gaines is just a mile or two west of us on Rt 6.

Would love to exchange some wines when our family goes up in late July or early August. Have some nice fruit wines that would be bottled by then, would love your opinion on them if you are interested.

Yes, perhaps a 10 minute walk from the lake. Ironically where I lived in CT I was also just a 10 minute walk from a State Park.

The roadside spring is, if I remember correctly, about a half mile north of Rt. 6 where Rt. 349 meets Rt. 6 in Gains. It is on the West side of the road and is easy to miss because there is just a small pull-in with a the water coming out of a small pipe. Ref: http://www.findaspring.com/locations/north-america/usa/elephant-rock-springgaines-pa-16921/ Also, there is a spring somewhere in Coudersport that is documented on the web site.

Definitely interested in exchanging some wines. Something Varis and I did when I lived in CT. Also, believe that there is a annual Wine Festival held somewhere in Canton at that time of the year. Seem to remember hearing about it when I moved to Wellsboro last July. Might be an opportunity to meet other PA WMT folks at the Festival.

I think you are talking about the Canton Wine and Cheese festival, on June 25th. Never been there but have heard good things about it. It's on the "other side" of Rt 15, not too far from you (maybe 15 or 20 miles). Tickets are $12 or $15 at the door. Looks like at least 10 wineries are scheduled to be there. I think my wife still has classes so I doubt we will get there, but ever since I started making wine we try and get to events like that since you get the opportunity to taste so many different wines at one venue.

FYI, if I go to your link and back up (use the "-" button) two times I can see where our cabin is, so I think we are about 5 miles or so from that spring in Gaines.

Last edited:
Couple of things...

you don't pick the time to fight she does. You know that!

Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. You know that! better go for a Peach Paradise or Janet's Peach Revenge !:ft

Or be ready to hear about it every time you pop a Peach cork!

So, I show my wife one of the bottles of peach wine I just labeled and she gets upset. Not with the label per say but because of what I've named the wine. I labnled the wine "Walmart Peach" because that is where I had bought the peaches to make the wine. There was/is no attempted to belittle Walmart shopper - obviously I shop there myself as evidenced by where I bought the peaches. I've done this type of naming several times before... My apple wine is labeled/named "Mansfield Apple" because that is where the Cider Mill is located from where I purchased the apple cider. I named a DB variation "Weise Berry" because I bought the berries from the Weise Grocery store here in town. My next DB is likely to be called "Gains Berry" because I hope to get the water for the batch from the roadside spring in Gains,PA.

I'm not a lawyer but I hope I've made a good defense for myself in naming the peach wine "Walmart Peach". Knowing a good offense is often better than I good defense I threatened my wife to rename my peach wine "Trailer Park Peach" [Hope I've not offended anyone with that name, I'd never actually use that name on a label and believe that most folks living in trailer parks are fine folks.]. That seemed to calm here down a bit.

So what say you guys? Even though I know you will of course side with my position on this one and support my sticking with the name "Walmart Peach".

Thanks in advance for your support.

Ps. Saturday night was definitely not the best night to pick this fight. If you know what I mean. :(

Pps. Written mostly tongue in cheek. Janet did in fact not like the name but the issue will not lead to us getting a divorce.

I side with your wife, I wouldn't put their name on anything I made even if I bought it there. I'll leave it at that..., but I would give credit to the people that grew or raised the produce, or product that helps in the process of making the wine.

I just know a lot of folks that work there.

Cheers!!!

Ha! I love it, but then again. I'm fighting with myself over what to call my own. If I call it what I want, I probably can't really share it with anyone but my close friends that understand my humor.

Ok Bill, This time I have to agree with the wife. If it was my wine, the last thing I would put on the label is Walmart fruit even if it was.Some things are just a sacred secret I wouldn't admit on the bottle. To you guys, I brag about the great deal I got!

Back