Why second fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Why do winekits advise for a transfer at 1.010?
Whats the benefit and is it noticable?

actually that is not a second fermentation, you wine is still in the same fermentation as when it started. They tell you this to prevent oxidation. I don't do kits but I always ferment to dry in the primary but I do snap down the lid and add an airlock once fermentation is below 1.010.

Thanks.

Since I have two cats running around in the house I ferment with the lid closed.
Won't a extra racking only introduce oxygen/oxidation?

I have read the article of the winemakersacademy and wonder how long you can leave the fermenting must on the gross lees before it starts to affect taste.
Did anyone experience the difference in taste having done two of the same kits different ways?
Given the advise in the manual I guess it should be noticable?

Fermenting to dry in the primary isn't long enough for the gross lees to give an off flavor. I make a lot of wine and for several years now and not once have I had a wine that had off flavors to it.

Also, I have two dogs that roam freely thru the house, I keep the lid on but not snapped down and throw a towel over top of that.

Latest posts

Back