Whole house vs minijet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
Will a whole house filtration system do as good of a job as a minijet system?
Better, worse or comparable?

Should be similar but much less $. Plus the vacuum pump will have other uses.

Seeing as how you have many more options for microns it will do much better. Ive heard from many people that the Minijet leaks a lot but thats just here say as I dont have one! The whole house filters can be saved and reused many times over also.

I have one and I like it a lot. But that being said - I now have a vacuum pump and when the minijet goes out - i will just use the vacuum pump and setup a filtration system with it.

The vacuum pump is much more versatile: filter, rack, degass, bottling, etc.

I own and use both of them. The whole house is way better hands down. I reuse my filter over and over, it doesn't leak, its possible to hook up a series of filters and I can filter and bottle in one step. The whole house filter has no mechanical or moving parts but requires a vacuum pump which has several other uses.

The filter pads are a lot cheaper for the mini-jet and you throw them away. Filtering clear wine I have filtered over 24 gallons at a time from both of them.

With my experience if I had to choose between the two it would be the whole house in a heart beat. Money is not an issue as overall they'll be close in cost.

Etc..... Do you have something you need to share with us. If you have more ideas of what to do with it Id love to know!!!!

Etc..... Do you have something you need to share with us. If you have more ideas of what to do with it Id love to know!!!!

Someone needs to work a vacuum pump and a beer-hat together :dg

Now I'm starting to regret not ordering a WH filter from Wade along with my new pump.

I've had my pump for a year now but I just did my first vacuum filtering with my home filter setup. Easy as pie and it does make a noticeable difference in my white. Definitely more sparkle.

How/what are you filterers doing with storing your filters between batches. Right now mine are sitting in water. Can I just leave that in the filter housing or should I dry it out?

Cheers!
Darren

I would NOT go the dry route!:sh I lost a $60 filter doing that. I thought it was dry after 10 days and put it away in a open plastic bag on the shelf. Next time I went to use it, it was full of mold. I only got to use it one time.

Two options are either clean it and keep it in a capsule made from pvc filled with a sanitizing solution of k-meta and ctric acid or Let it dry in the open for a week then place in a plastic zip lock bag and place it in the freezer.

Is there anything special to be looking for in regards to whole house filters? I was looking at a Watts unit with two bonus 5 micron filters at Home Depot. Other than finding the right fittings, is this all I need to get?

Pretty much, just be aware that all filters are not the same as some will release lots of filter material and some wont. You also want a pressure release button. No carbon filters!!!! Make sure the filters arent treated in any way as some actually have an anti microbial coating. It is called Microban.

Latest posts

Back